1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT scene in Poland

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mysz, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Mysz

Anyone who currently lives, has lived, or visited there- what is it like? What is the general attitude toward LGBT people and rights? I'd like to go to school in Białystok, but I don't know what I'd be getting myself into socially if I was open about myself. And since I REALLY don't want to retreat into the closet again, it would be nice to know beforehand. All I have right now is that my Polish parents are homophobic, but two people are hardly anything to go on. :dry:

2. jargon

I've only been to Poland once when I was a kid, so I can't say from personal experience. I can tell you that Poland is still pretty heavily dominated by Catholic moral teachings, which of course aren't accepting of same-sex marriage or sexual activity. Overall, my impression is that attitudes are becoming more accepting in Poland, as in most of the Western world, but that it's still got a longer way to go than we do.

Also:
    LGBT rights in Poland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Moogie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi :slight_smile:

As a person living in Poland i have to admit that it is a pretty homophobic country. Catholic tradition has a great influence on people there. Moreover, a lot of people tend to be not accepting of a homosexuality just because of their ignorance. And I wouldn't reccomend to you being open with your sexulity in public (kissing on a street for example), because some people may act agressive towards you (although i am not that sure about since you are lesbian and chances that somone will be offensive towards women are much smaller than in men cases)

On the contrary, there quite a few people who will be accepting of you. There are more and more (especially young) people who are accepting of others sexuality. If you will hang out with intelligent and tolerant people it won't be a trouble for you to come out to them.

If I were you, I would consider going to school in Poland. Living in Poland as a homosexualist is pretty hard, but not like impossible or anything.

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. mpl

mpl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in Poland too.. And I have to agree with Moogie. In Białystok there are many people from Russia so the situation is worse.. I heard that the situation in Warsaw is better, but I'm not sure about that.