1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have completely broken down...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Daydream Harp, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Daydream Harp

So, my mental health has been on shaky grounds for... well, since childhood, and now it has finally happened; I have snapped completely.

I don't manage to do anything but worry about death and start crying about the thought of it a lot, and I want it to stop. I want to find something to help me appreciate life and stop worrying about death all the time, something to believe in and something to keep me going.

Please, anyone, I need serious help and I can't go on like this.

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What are you scared about ?

3. Daydream Harp

Like, the concept of dying, I don't know how to deal with it

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow let's see if i can try to help well , i use to worry about this too but I always thought the best thing to do is enjoy life while I'm still alive , I'll try to enjoy my life the best I can that kinda worked for me but it's not easy to over come this

5. Beantown

Beantown Guest

This use to terrify me heaps but then someone told me that we had to die so that we could make space for the future and that made me appreciate stuff cause like we have to enjoy what time we do have so when we do die the future people can like enjoy themselves and stuff like that cause if we didn't die we would be taking up their space.

6. MarvinMinsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay.

Well, that's good.

Death should be avoided as much as possible. You should strive to live. Live at any cost. Survive anything life throws at you and then stand up and say, "Is that all you got?"

So, being afraid of death is good. Now the problem isn't that you are afraid of death, it's the fact that you are TOO afraid of death. Fear is the problem, not what you are afraid of.

Can you go into details about what exactly you are afraid of, and/or how you react to death?

---------- Post added 27th Jan 2014 at 10:48 AM ----------

I'm afraid I need to get to work. I'll try and check back later. My schedule is chaotic, at best. So I looked over your profile.. Hope you don't mind if I make a few assumptions about you. Let me know if I'm wrong in any way.

You'll survive. Whatever it is.

Now me? I have been:
    Shot at, Slashed, Stabbed, Stapled, Torn Ligaments, Broken Ankle, Shattered/Rebuilt Jawbone (Have more metal holding my skull together then wolverine), Put in coma, Had my face sewn back on (off center), raped by a former lover, strangled, and put up with about 9 years of curbstompings and beatings from 2nd grade on, Lived through the death of friends, and various family members. I have a few reasons be being unhappy.

It's like a sack of bricks. You put it down, you walk away.

Yes, it's a nice sack of bricks, and you've had the bricks for so long you feel like an idiot not doing something more productive with the bricks. You say to yourself, "Damn. These are some nice bricks. I should do something with them." But there isn't anything you could ever do to make up for all the time and pain you have put up with carrying that sack of bricks.

Since nothing is ever good enough, you just keep the bricks. You'll think other people will think you're a fool if you just drop the bricks. I mean, you've had these bricks SO LONG. You should do SOMETHING with them. You at least want to break even.

You can't.

Put the bricks down. Walk away. It's called cutting your losses.

You see, we love and we hate. But both things require us to care. If I care positively, then I love. If I care negatively, I hate. So the root of your problems is simply caring. Death, your problems, your suffering, your pain... it's not worth caring about. Deep breath. Put down the bricks. Walk away. Spend your time and energy caring about something more positive.

7. Daydream Harp

A lot of this is a fear of there not being an afterlife, as I don't follow a religion, and the only way I could probably relax completely about this was if I was 100% certain there is more after death

8. katwat

If you read up on religions you will find that you can pretty well boil them down to some basics. Be a good person. Be kind to others. Treat others as you would wish to be treated. If you follow those basic rules then you get to live your life and when you die the majority of religions say you will either go on to live another, generally better, life or go to an afterlife where everything is beautiful and nice.

Since no one truly KNOWS what happens and it is all based on "I for this reason believe" the afterlife becomes that which gives us hope and comfort.

Personally I believe their is something greater than I. I believe that in this higher greatness there is an attempt to lead us to greater heights. I think that multiple religions are just different attempts to get us mere humans aware that we need to try harder and we are so inept that we keep screwing things up. So all religions have some validity at the start but then mankind messes them up a bunch so we have to keep trying to uncover the truth beneath the mess that has been made. What is at the end of life? I kind of have more of a reincarnation/eventual heaven view. I just don't see that most people are "fully cooked" through one life time. I mean Gandhi - yeah. I think he might have gotten it. Mandella? Desmond Tutu? If this isn't their final trip through living then they have to be getting there. So what happens when we hit the final level? Happiness? Contentment? Surrounded by love? I have relatives that had a fit when I said that I hoped someday to see my pets in heaven as "animals do not have souls." I don't think it could be heaven if there were no animals there. I know it would not be my ideal place without them.

So is there nothing? Is there badness? Is there another trip through living? Is it wonderful? How can we know? We just need to try to find what we would want it to be. Our ideal perfect place and then live our lives trying very hard to build that kind of perfect place here on earth.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just chill u r gonna be fine. I like watching sunsets. Maybe u will too. But maybe u won't. But u might

10. MarvinMinsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay. Well, I find the idea of an afterlife to be a horrible one.

Look, I know you are looking for someone to go, "There is a god, and everything will be okay in heaven." But I can't say that. I don't believe it. I find it a horrible thought.

• If there is an afterlife, then we are judged.
    • If we are judged, someone is judging us.
    • If they are all knowing, then they can fairly judge me, but being all knowing also means that I have no free will.
      • If I have no free will, then all of my actions have already been determined. Therefore, if I get sent to heaven or hell has already been determined.
    • If they aren't all knowing, then they make mistakes. And I might get sent to heaven or hell by accident.

Also, a heaven or hell implies the world is a Just Place. I've suffered quite a bit. If the world is a just place, then I'm a bad person. Only bad things happen to bad people in a Just world.

Or maybe, Just maybe, bad things happen to good people, and good things happen to bad people, and life isn't fair. And that means it's not my fault. I didn't ask for all the pain I've suffered.

And that means that when I die, I stop existing, and everything I am will be lost.

That thought drives me forward. I don't have time to wait and think about how I have a finite existence. I want to make the most of my existence. I eat well, take care of my health. I worry about the future and prepare for it, but I really want to see where this is all going.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the immortal words of Dumbledore, "death is just the next great adventure." I wouldn't say I'm in a hurry to take part, but if I knew I was dying and had a fulfilling life, I'd be at peace with seeing the other side.

Death is just the final part of life, and at 19, it's likely very far off. If you worry about dying, just think "It won't happen today" and try to continue. :slight_smile: