1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advise from those that've worked in restaurants

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shyguy5, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Shyguy5

I recently got a part time job at a restaurant. I've told the manager that in college/school. Anyway, the past 3 days was me working 6 or 7 hour shift but I don't know how many hours I work a week. Since I'm in school full-time, I don't think I can handle more than 30hours.

I wanted to know if it's terrible to ask the manager how many hours I work a week?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not only is it fine to ask, it's also quite fine to set expectations (within reason) about how many hours per week and what hours you're available.

In most places they provide a weekly or biweekly work schedule so you know in advance the times you're working, and the total hours for the week. If you haven't gotten that, I'm sure your manager could provide it upon request.

3. Shyguy5

I was told that the schedule starts on Thursday, the day I start my actual schedule. I told my manager which days I was available (3 days all day and 2 days after classes) but I wasn't told if I would work all those days. I thought part time jobs have limited amount of hours one could work a week.

4. flymetothemoon

I think technically a part time job can work you up to 39 hours and be part time in most places. If you are getting 40 hours, that usually makes you full time, but that doesn't mean that a part time job can NEVER give you that many hours if I understand correctly. They can on occasion, but not regularly. That being said, it is completely acceptable for you to request no more than 30 hours per week, and they should respect that request as long as you are being reasonable about it(which it seems you are).

5. LD579

If you're a full time student and don't desperately need the money... under 20 is reasonable. Heck, even 10 or so hours a week is reasonable. It really depends on your courses and how you value your free time and... so many other factors. I suggest that you start off slow and see how you feel about the work before taking on more hours. Too much work can easily overshadow your school, and it sounds like school's the larger priority at the moment.

6. Shyguy5

Yeah, I'm a full-time student and this is my first job. With it being my first job, I'm not sure if it's unprofessional to ask. I'm just learned how clocking in works so I don't to come off as if I'm lazy by saying "I don't want to work a lot." I'm working as a dishwasher if that means anything.

7. Skov

I was an assistant manager at a fast food restaurant for over two years in high school and before I left for school. It is completely reasonable to say (within limits) when you want to work. If you don't, they will work you to death. That's how restaurants work. Just remember that your manager isn't a mind reader and won't know that there is a problem if you don't say anything. Just have an plan in mind of when you can work and how much you want to work, or you'll frustrate the manager. They have to keep track of a lot of employees so remember to be patient and to remind them if needed.

Also, don't ask for all of the busy times off.

8. Shyguy5

Thank you for the insight. I called in today and she didn't have a problem with me taking on 20hrs. I was afraid once I get hired at a restaurant I have no say in when or how long I work since they're always busy.