1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Activism

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BookDragon, Jan 30, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the past few days I have made the mistake of reading the comments sections on various articles concerning a whole manner of things, mainly LGBT related. It occurs to me that the internet is home to some of the most disgusting human beings I have ever encountered (I know, BIG suprise, right?).

This got me thinking about activism and an argument I once had with my brother.

I have always argued for my own rights when it comes to things my family have made me do. I argued my right not to go to church or believe in god. I argued my right to grow my hair, to not go to Scouts, to wear what I wanted, to use my computer more. If there was something my parents told me I had to do that seemed wrong or unfair to me and they could not justify it, (note that I never argued not to eat my vegetables, because that can be justified) then you can bet I argued my side and generally won. Logic prevails.

My brother, on the other hand, never argued. Or more accurately, never NEEDED to argue. He had the same issues as I did and for him they were fixed when my parents had accepted my point.

This has led to a situation whereby I understand the need to fight for your rights and try to rid the world of intolerance and ignorance, which includes regularly making sure I am as free of these things as possible. My brother, however, has adopted a much more casual 'but I don't need to' approach.

He moved out of our family home not long ago and dreads coming back now. He hates the various rules that are enforced upon him and the things that are expected of him, because he is free of them when he leaves. I am stuck here. When I told him once that we had a lot of arguments in the house about various things, he was of the opinion that it was my fault. To his credit, he is right, I am the one that decides to counter the bad things that are said around here, so yes he is right, if I didn't do that the arguments wouldn't happen BUT they need to be had.

My mother, for example, told me once that LGBT groups were too blatant about everything and would have and where not needed because there isn't any LGBT discrimination - 'they' should just keep it private. I hope it should be obvious why I felt the need to question this.

The problem is that I see the need to do this because my mother considers herself to be a very tolerant person. This, not to mention a whole host of other seemingly minor things suggest that to be somewhat of an exaggeration. I called her up on this, it caused a huge argument and everyone seems to think I am at fault for it.

I won't lie, I do have a problem with being blamed. I hate it, because as far as I can see I, and by extension everybody else, has a duty towards good and truth in this world, and lying down and accepting "Civil partnerships are the same thing, I don't see why they keep going on about it" and other such gems is doing those things.

I fear becoming like my brother. I cannot say that I have done good in this world if I have taken such a meaningless approach to 'difficult' subjects. He cuts himself off from these situations, even though he knows it hurts people. I cannot and will not allow myself to do this, and yet I fear activism more. When I hear the opinions of these (for lack of a better word) morons, who apparently can't apply even the most basic logic, common sense or human decency, it makes me sad and angry. It depresses my to find people who apparently live to make other peoples lives worse, and more-so to discover that there are people who can hate those trying to make peoples lives better...

So I'm stuck between the two, knowing I can't deal that one will cause me to hate myself, one will cause me depression and where I am now is a little of both...

Really not sure what the point of that was...

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, ElliaOtaku. You shouldn't feel bad for standing up for yourself. We have this concept in our society that children should obey their children but there are examples of this not holding true(i.e. child abuse). Regardless, though some respect is usually key to any good relationship you're a 23 year old grown woman. They really can't use the old "Because I said so" line on you anymore. You say you and your mother argued concerning LGBT rights. I know what it's having your mom not be exactly the PFLAG type. As long as things didn't get venomous, why would people blame you for having a difference of opinion? It's your family, not a Jonestown-style cult.

As for people actively denying rights of others I see no harm to thwart these individuals effort in a legal manner. It is depressing that people are consumed by such hatred, but it will have the most harm on themselves in the end. All that venom and bile will eat away at them.

Is there a local LGBT center in your area? You could either volunteer there or get information about activist opportunities(i.e. rallies, etc.)

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ill keep it simple. Activism is a good thing. Militant activism is a good thing when it is justifiable to retake liberties that are unduly being held back.

Militant activism however can be fracturing amongst allies. In my high school the GSA was very militant and their mantra was always "if you aren't part of the solution you are part of the problem".

That's what turned so many people off no matter their orientation. It on the surface didn't preach tolerance but more of an "us vs them" - adversarial approach.

However I agree Holly, any time you advocate for yourself or others in a fully justifiable manner (even extremism) then you are in the right and are doing the ethical and morally correct thing.

As far as the human condition goes, people who are insecure with themselves disparage others to feel better. Why can't people just better themselves instead of belittle others?

I hope you feel like you contribute to the world in a positive manner because people don't always do so and leave it for others to do. You're a good person and are very insightful and wise. Use your caring and thoughtful personality to its fullest.