1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does this mean? what should I do?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by nate16, Jan 30, 2014.

1. nate16

Heya, so I’m a gay male sophomore in college in need of some advice. At the end of November I had been with this guy for about a month. The guy identifies as bi, and I had been the first guy he had been with. We were both into it, however during the last week, I started to notice some disinterest. We talked and it came out that he’s more into just occasionally hooking up and remaining friends, while I'm looking for something more serious. He said he still finds me attractive and offered the hookup card, to which I refused immediately as never being able to do and handle. He then mentioned us being good acquaintances, before settling on how, “our friend groups don't really intersect at all.” To me that sounded like he just wanted space, to which I responded accordingly.

Things passed for a couple weeks and before winter break I shot him a message just saying hi, and in short recognizing the elephant in the room, which was how awkward everything still felt. Asking platonic questions, etc. He responded that he didn’t feel any awkwardness etc, which kinda pissed me off to be honest. He offered to talk to me about it in a way that felt very…I don't know… condescending. We ended the convo.

Since then, I’ve still not gotten over him completely. Things ended on a bit of a stalemate, and I still have a lot of complicated emotions towards him. Hell, I probably wouldn’t mind getting back together with him if and when he’s ready for something more. I’m working on letting go; however there have been numerous times now that I start to get the feeling that he would want something more and I don't know what to do. Mixed signals to be honest. Such as:

Asking how I am occasionally. I’ll say something like “fine thx,” and he’ll respond along the lines of “what? Not fantastic?” Then say something about how awesome he’s doing.

Maintaining eye contact from a distance, or glancing at each other right before I(we) leave when I think he cant see. (we’ve caught each other doing this.)

And finally, when I pass him on the way to class, I’ll say hi, and he’ll occasionally say hi softly or just not say hello, but sorta nod and not break eye contact.

I’ve never been through a break like this and would love some advice on what to do/ how to continue. I’m still at the state where the idea of him being with someone else drives me crazy. I’m really starting to wonder if I could do something casual with him like cuddle buddies or whatnot, but I’m scared. I’ve got no idea where he’s coming from.

Thank you!

2. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll need to decide whether you want to get back together or make it a clean break. You seem to be hovering in the middle area. You need to pick a direction and make it happen.

3. AgentZ

Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe he's uncertain of his feelings for you or he's confused in general about his sexuality. You said he identifies as bisexual, but you were the first guy he'd been with... I don't want to say he changed his mind, but perhaps being with you confused him or caused him to think about his sexuality. Not necessarily a bad thing. (The other side of this is, maybe he just decided he's not that into you.) Figuring out the why of things requires honest and open conversation. If you want things to continue with him, you probably should be a little more upfront. Ask him how he feels towards you, offer up your own feelings/perspective, ask him if he's at all interested.

You're in limbo right now and being in limbo is never fun. Like malachite said, pick a direction and go.

4. nate16

Hey thanks guys. I've decided to write him a letter of sorts and put it in his mailbox here on campus. Any suggestions? here's what i have going so far:

Hey (name),
    How’re you? I debated for a while how to go about this, and decided to just put it forth in letter form. Sometimes writing can be more succinct and direct than spoken word (not that I’m against talking, far from it!) I honestly wasn’t sure how to approach you in person about this. It’s been a while since we broke off what we had going, which I completely understand and accept at this phase of my life and development. Just like anything in life, people evolve and change, as do emotions, etc. To get straight to the meat of the subject, I’m at the point where I’m still pretty interested in you. You originally offered an occasional hookup/cuddle buddy card, and I was wondering where you stood on that offer and if it was still open. I’m looking to try and expand my own comfort zones around more casual interactions and thought I’d drop you a line. It seemed to me from that night that you were in the same boat to some degree.
    My big question to you aside from whether or not you’d be into this is where you’re coming from after knowing all this. What are your reactions towards this/what are your emotions on this subject and towards me? I feel like I haven’t been able to get a good gauge on where you stand with me, even on a purely platonic level. I’m totally fine with whatever you decide, even if it’s to refuse. I just ask you to please be blatantly open with me about it. You had given the impression to me before when we went our separate ways that you wanted a lot of space, which is completely valid for you to feel. If that’s the case, I hope I fulfilled that. If not, drop a line, through whatever means you feel inspired by. If you could respond with a week or so that would be great! Thanks!

Best,
    (me!)

should I just email this to him or is a letter better? (I might write it up). to be honest, I'm kinda nervous about it all. After all, if he does accept, it might not work out for me emotionally. anyway, I'm just rambling now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thank You!

5. sanguine

oh boy, sounds like you've invested alot into this one

personally Id cut it off, because of reasons :/

but hey, lifes about risks, you've got to risk it to get the biscuit

6. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi nate16!

I have to say that I can kind of relate to what you're going through right now. Its definitely hard to be with someone who is unsure about what he wants and/or who he wants but its extremely difficult and painful to let go of that. Its like you would rather get a small piece of him [regardless how small] than none at all.

But that is not fair to you. Really. There's the possibility that he wants to explore more or be with other people. Which I can understand. But to explore and just casually be with you at the same time? I think you deserve better than that, dear. If he just wants a hook-up, then he obviously doesn't respect you enough to give you what you deserve.

You seem to be sure of yourself. Of who you are and what you want in a relationship and if this guy cannot give you that, then you are better off without him. I know the pain of letting go of someone seems spirit-breaking and never-ending but I know that you will be fine in the end. More than just fine, actually. I am sure you will find someone who can reciprocate the profound love that you can give. And that is something to look forward to.

I hope this helps. Heehee!

Cheer up!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]