1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mistrust in Authority figures

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dano218, Feb 3, 2014.

1. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ever since High School I faced authorities figures who judged me before getting to know me and ridiculed me for no reason at all.

!. The special ed room I was in for help with learning was very homophobic and anti gay remarks were a part of a daily routine. The teacher was ineffective in keep a safe environment and rather be on her cell phone than actually handling her class.

2. The social skills teacher I had in the special ed room make it known at my IEP meeting. that I was a loner who had a inability to make friend. Yes I was shy but homophobia was a major factor in why shut everyone out. She made me feel so stupid.

3. I joined a club my Senior year that helps the freshman feel comfortable at school their first few weeks. Me and two other friends who had disabilities joined and we were told to post fliers around the school while the "normal functioning kids" did the normal stuff. I was offended that she misjudged my capabilities and quit the club all together.

4. I had boss who was a loud mouth after I went to college who knew I was a quiet kid and she took advantage of that and always gave me crap and push me around for no reason. A person who is shy is most likely gonna clash with a 55 year old loud mouth who acts like she is better than anybody and if you have a weakness more power to her.

I know some of these our minor incidents and the it is my fault that i chose not to stand up for myself and just let people push me around. After these incidents in my life and many others I cannot think of I know now that I need to stand up for myself and not be pushed around. I also help to make sure my experiences don't happen to another kid and so on.

I don't trust authority because of this and it has damaged me emotionally and i still suffer from mild depression because of it. My depression used to be much worse to the point where I had a plan to kill myself all laid out. I think standing up to authority can be healthy as long as it is done in a healthy way and fighting against discrimination in a healthy way.

2. hatiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I totally share your attitude!

It is a human nature to follow authorities, and there were some famous psychological experiments proving that people will even hurt others easily if there is a suitable authority ordering to do evil. Only few particularly strong people are able to resist this herd instinct and act independently. Congratulations, I respect you :thumbsup:
    :icon_wink

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I think it is issue a lot of people honestly have to deal with and from my perspective its a huge problem in America and probably around the world.

4. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bumped it up just cause I want to. lol

5. hatiko

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say rejecting authorities is a lesson everyone should learn. Because no one has a right to order you.

And yes, that's a BIG problem for mankind. All wars are unnecessary and inspired by authorities.