1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I depressed?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by campervankid, Feb 3, 2014.

1. campervankid

so lately ive been thinking that maybe im depressed but im not sure because I don't exactly know what depression would feel like. sometimes I am happy and laughing and I do still feel stuff like excitement but I never get through a day without a point where I feel very unhappy. Im not even sure what im unhappy about most of the time but the only way I can think to describe how I feel is tired. I always feel physically tired but I also feel like I just want to emotionally go to sleep, like I just cant be bothered with life right now. It feels like ive just run out of energy for trying to be happy. I don't even cry, it feels like I cant cry which makes me cut instead (at least I think that's the reason). However, at school I seem happy, im the jokey crazy one but then at home my life feels like its falling apart and I don't even have the energy to try and stop it. Is this depression or is it not because at school I seem happy? I don't know, please help

#1 campervankid, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. Mogget

Yeah, this sounds like depression to me. Depression isn't a single emotion, rather it's a family of emotions and a sort of "lens" through which you see the world. It's perfectly possible to be happy and depressed at the same time because happiness is a single emotion, and it can exist in the context of a larger pattern of depressive emotions and outlooks.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's really no magical line - where if you're on this side, you're "depressed", and if you're on the other side, you're "okay". It's more like being "sick", like with a cold. Most of the time, you're "not sick" - you're healthy. But you can have a bit of a cold, where maybe your nose is a bit runny, but you still feel fine and you can still get around just fine...and then you could say you're "kind of sick", or "functionally unwell". :slight_smile:

Similarly, you can have some mild cases of depression. Where you can still get distracted from your negative thoughts, especially in social situations. Based solely on your post, I'd say you might be "functionally depressed". You might benefit from going to see your doctor as a first step.

Lex

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True clinical depression is where the world is crushing and nothing is fun and you are slow moving, can't think well, and just feel miserable.

You seem like you are describing some of those symptoms. Wanting to sleep and emotionally shut off sounds very similar.

You should talk to a doctor or a counselor. It can't hurt at the very least.

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Sounds like depression to me. Exactly what I've been going through for the last year or so.

6. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi campervankid!

I understand what you're going through. I can understand the wanting to just go to bed and not do anything else. All the while, going out, facing the world and trying to act like you're happy or masking what you really feel inside.

It seems to me that you are somewhat depressed. At least you're not suicidal or anything.

Maybe you just need a diversion or an outlet to release all these negative thoughts and emotions. Try to hangout with a friend that you trust completely and have a very honest and profound conversation with him/her. Let all your emotions out. Say exactly what you feel. You can also try releasing them by writing [keeping a journal, poetry, lyrics etc] or any avenue you feel most comfortable doing.
    I would also suggest you go out jogging while listening to your favorite loud music. Sweat all the emotions away. Sometimes a little bit of endorphines can make a difference.
    Lastly, try to keep a list of goals or a bucket list. Sometimes, having something to look forward to can divert your mind from thinking about negative things.

Cheer up!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sam is right, ya need to exercise. That releases natural endorphins. Also music does have a positive mental affect. Good advice so try it.

8. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks Kasey! I do that from time to time. I jog around the neighborhood while listening to my favorite singers. There's something therapeutic with the songs of Kylie Minogue and Spice Girls while running like crazy. LOL. So gay, I know. :icon_redf :icon_redf :icon_redf

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that gay...

My friends and I listened to the spice girls in high school. And most of them were quite heterosexual.

Also, Kylie is awesome.

But my preference is straight up hip hop about 90% of the time. Still, not that unusual about the spice girls.