1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a boy had sex with my boyfriend without his consent, it's tearing him apart!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lil legs, Feb 4, 2014.

1. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone, so I've been going out with my boyfriend online for 2 years now, our first kiss was saturday just gone and we both had the best time of our life, but it's bringing back old memories from this boy he knew, the boy's mum is a family friend of my boyfriends mum n that so he's close to home, when my boyfriend and this boy were alone together the boy would get sexual and unfortunately my boyfriend didn't have much choice, they would do it wether my boyfriend wanted to or not. that boy is now out of my boyfriends life, he had sex with my bf while me and him were going out and I sent him the most vile, nasty pm on fb you could ever imagine, when I get mad, seriously, him and my bf have been alone since and as far as i know, there hasn't been an eyelid fluttered, but since our first kiss it's bringing it all back to my boyfriend, and it is really eating at him, I've said all i can think of, but there's only so much i can think of saaying, I'm not an expert, I just take a stab in the dark at what to say, and now im out of ideas, this is going to get in the way of sex between me and my boyfriend, last night when he was thinking of the boy I told my boyfriend that when we even get close to being in the bedroom together he can always make the first move so i know when he's ready, and i think that made him comfortable with that, but for now he's thinking about this other boy, because obviously now me and my bf have kissed it's bringing back what it was like for with the other boy, so please help if you can, any advice for my bf would be great, he knows I'm posting this and will respond to any questions or advice through me. thanks

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So to be clear, this guy raped your boyfriend? Did he ever go to the cops?

3. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't really call it rape, as much as my bf didn't want to, and while going out with me, said no constantly, eventually my bf just said yes and went along with it though, plus it being a family friend, he doesn't want to take it further than me unless he's kept unnamed and unknown

4. duende84

That sounds like a forced and traumatic experience. You need to handle your BF with care and respect and tell him that you support him and care for him.

5. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it still sounds like he only consented under duress to me. If he doesn't want to take legal avenues that's his choice though. I would strongly recommend therapy, however. You guys should both know it's not his fault. I'd recommend that you just be patient and supportive with him, but you can't magically fix these issues unfortunately. Again, I'd say his best bet would be to try to talk out/make sense of what happened to him in therapy. He needs your support but he also needs closure, which you personally can't give him. I'd still say his family "friend" is a criminal.

6. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks guys, I try and give him all the support i can, but sometimes during the times he's worst the most i can do isn't really enough, I can eventually help him out of it, sooner maybe than if i wasn't here, but i wish there was more. I've told him plenty it's not his fault and he knows it, what sucks is that it takes time and i know that things will improve eventually, thursday before meeting he was scared to kiss me because he was thinking about this boy and if kissing me would be similar, it wasn't at all similar, he's told me he loved kissing me, but he's got that thought with everything at the momment, when you say closure, how can therapy really help? it's just he isn't the sort to go for that kind of help, he really does want to keep it behind closed doors, no questions asked, we went on childline online support the last time this boy done stuff with my bf but i think online is the best my bf will do. save his mum n everyone else asking questions he doesn't want to answer

7. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but I honestly fear what will happen to him if he tries to repress something this traumatic. Just my opinion. Therapists(good ones) are impartial professionals that will listen to his experience without judgement and hopefully be able to give him some tools to try to move on with his life. Attempting to keep this behind closed doors will probably(though everyone is different) be emotionally unhealthy for him. Think about how being in the closet(I see by your Out Status that you're not out to everyone, but it looks like some people know) and having nobody know you were gay. Think about how it felt trying to act straight and having this "secret" that you felt that you could not tell anybody about. Now you may not have experienced this, but a lot of us did. If you remember/ever had that feeling, think about what it did to you psychologically. Your BF is probably going through something similar in terms of repressing this. I still think that therapy would be good for him, but no one can force him to go. This is my unprofessional, personal opinion. Take from it what you will. I wish you and your boyfriend the best of luck. It sounds like you're there for each other and that's a great place to start.

8. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks. unfortunately though, my boyfriend has written of therapy, it's not easy to get to anywhere where he lives, nor is it cheap, plus he really doesn't want his mum to find out :/

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your boyfriend was sexually abused. The impact of sexual abuse on most people, particularly men, is severe and lasts a lifetime if it isn't worked through, and it sounds like it has affected him pretty strongly.

I would strongly suggest that you encourage him to reconsider. It's going to affect his ability to be in a healthy relationship with you or almost anyone else, and it's going to affect his self esteem, self worth, and confidence.

It can definitely be addressed and resolved effectively through therapy, and the other piece is that the sooner he starts working on it, the easier it is to resolve. If he waits a long time -- until his life is *really* not working, which is often when someone gets to their 30s or 40s or later -- then the work to resolve it is much, much harder and takes longer because there are all the years of behaviors and mindsets that have developed in the intervening time.

So perhaps you can gently encourage him, or maybe point him here. It's not easy or fun work, but he will be a lot happier in the end.

10. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks for the help guys, I think me and my bf are going to talk about possible therapy for him tonight, do you know any way of finding out therapists in his area? google doesn't help me much. is there anything else we can do though please? anyway we can make things easier without going the therapist way? thanks

11. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    anyome? please

12. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

What part of the country are you in? There are therapiists practically everywhere, but the trick is finding one with experiennce and competency in male sexual abuse, which is a specialty. A therapist without that speicialty will be of limited help and may actually be hurtful.

There are some possibilities of theraipsts that do phone sessions, but for dealing with sexual abuse trauma, most therapists will probably want to see him in person.

Please let me know the city/state (if in nthe US) you're in and I'll see what resources I might have for you, and perhaps others will have some resources as well.

13. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    we live in england, I don't think he'd want me to be anymore specific than that, we do seem to be back to normal atm, he has these phases but still want to see if we can work it out so he doesn't or so it doesn't get to him as much.

14. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If he had penetrative sex then it is rape, however some countries insist on proof that the person actually fought off the aggressor so if your boyfriend didn't want to consent but didn't do anything about it, some would consider tacit consent.

It's best to get a therapist involved. The police is also an option but I suggest asking advice to said therapist beforehand. If you really love your boyfriend it's best to seek professional help, sweet-talking and 'being there' sometimes just aren't enough.

15. GayDadStr8Marig

try a local gay hotline for a referral for counseling, if that's not available, may a hospital can refer you to someone. He definitely needs some help processing what he has been through. Whether any legal standards for rape have been met, the fact is the relations were not consensual even if he didn't fight off the boy. Keep supporting him and let him know how much you love him and support him, and offer names of counselors when you get them. No one deserves to go through this trauma.

16. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    thanks you 2, we'll see how the next week or so goes, I'm pretty sure when we beome more free, like when we're both driving or parents arn't involved in our lives as much he may look into counselling as a much more viable option if it's needed, but at the momment he doesn't want to tell anyone and I'm fine so long as it doesn't take years for him to seek help, I'll try and fnd out about any gay hotlines for the UK or something like that fo hellp when if we see therapy as a more viable option

17. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lil legs, send me a PM and cc Martin on it with more specifics about the area you're in. Martin lives in the UK and works with the mental health system. Between the two of us we should be able to find some referrals for you.

I'd be a little cautious about the gay hotlines; sometimes you get real help, and sometimes you get well meaning but completely ill-equipped people who aren't really helpful.

The label of whether it was penetrative or not is completely irrelevant here unless he's considering police action, but I'd advise strongly against that, *unless* the other person was substantially older (as in, he was an adult and your bf was a child.) If that was not the case, then unfortunately, the combination of time having passed and it being male/male assault, there's a lot of resistance and homophobia on the part of the police in most jurisdictions, and he'll put himself through a lot for little to no benefit.

In many areas there are options to get therapy without parents knowing. I understand he's nervous, but if nothing else, if you can gently support and encourage him, that may help him feel more comfortable and ready to seek treatment, whether that's now or in a few months.

18. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only send a pm to one user chip, sending it to martin as a Bcc recipient didn't work?

19. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok I can forward to Martin for you :slight_smile:

20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just a quick clarification here: It was pointed out to me that the above post might be read to imply that women who are sexually abused don't suffer as much as men do. That's certainly not the case, nor is it what I intended to imply. There's no question that sexual abuse is horrifying and traumatizing for both men and women.

To clarify: statistically, women are a lot more likely (according to the data we have) to report sexual abuse and to seek help for their situation than men are. Nonetheless, the incidence of abuse that goes unreported is phenomenally high for both men and women.

Women are more likely to tell someone, even if it is only one friend or their intimate partner. Because of this, the shame associated with being raped or abused can start to heal, since it is the shame that is one of the biggest drivers of the problems that stem from being abused, and telling someone (hopefully) elicits empathy, which is the antidote to shame.

Culturally, it is less appropriate, and even more shameful, for men to admit being abused because the single biggest shame trigger for men is being perceived as weak. For that reason, men are less likely to tell anyone, and even when they do, they are less likely to receive nonjudgmental support than their female counterparts.

None of this should be interpreted to indicate that men have it worse being abused than women do, or that it's less impactful for women, only that it is typically more difficult to men to reach out for help, which tends to make the internalized shame and self-hate that much worse.

Thanks to Darklord for bringing that issue to my attention.