1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

need help from those who understand lesbian dating

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Todayistheday, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Todayistheday

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This is a first post‪.‬ Please help‪,‬ especially community members who understand lesbian dating‪.‬ I need your advice on whether or not I have a chance with a particular lesbian woman‪.‬
    ‏(I live in a different country so the dating scene where I live may be different‪,‬ but it is a very modern Western place, so maybe no‪t.) I'm separated in a marriage and on the way to divorce. (He is moving out.) I want to spend time with a lesbian friend. When I see her, she flashes me the most beautiful smile. The only person I've come out to was her, a difficult conversation for me because I detailed my separation for the first time and how poorly my husband has treated me, as a preface to why I was available and why my feelings toward him had evaporated long ago. During that conversation, I shared that I was attracted to her. She and I didn't speak for a week or two after that, although we attended an event at childcare and as another mom was ‬
    ‏‪calling out my name to say goodbye, the woman I care about flashed me a great smile. Since she wasn't initiating contact with me, I tried to forget about her. I spent time online learning about lesbian community in this country. I decided to confide about my separation to a straight woman friend.‬

‏‪A few days ago, the lesbian woman I care about was running to her car after dropping off her child and I approached her. She said she was going jogging, and would I care to join her? I said yes. Fifteen minutes later we were off. It was the best hour of my life in recent years. She shared all sorts of things in the conversation and we talked about a wide range of subjects. The more we ran, the more she felt comfortable sharing about her life and that building trust and sharing felt so good, as did the run. When she asked about something that touched on my husband, I said that I had started to confide in a straight friend and it would be possible to focus on happier topics when I talk with her. I asked her out to a lesbian restaurant and she said yes! She said that because of her work schedule she prefers to go out in the morning. I said I'd like to go out a morning next week (a bit longer than a week from that point.) At the end of our run, I asked her how we would set the date and ‏‪she said you have my number, call me.‬

‏‪Because the local language is English, I find it harder to hit the right nuances and meaning than when I communicate in English. She has a busy schedule as a single working mom and I don't want to phone at the wrong moment, nor do I want to botch what I say because of the language. So I don't want to call.‬
    ‏‪It's much easier for me to talk in person when I bask in her smile and presence and manage to get out what I want to say. But I rarely see her at childcare drop off - pick up time. Sometimes I do various chores outdoors so I can see her coming or going but I still miss her.
    Today I spent ages trying to write a very short text message that would be right to ask if she would like to go running a morning this week. I didn't feel that I got the words or timing right, so I didn't yet send it.‬
    So later on today....
    ‏‪I was standing on the corner by our place with one of my children waiting for someone to pick up the child and I was watching a video on my phone with her. On the other side of the street (a very busy street) I noticed that the woman I care about had raced past pushing a stroller on the way to pick up her child and didn't even acknowledge me. Then she picked up her head to smile a bit and wait for someone, but it was an older caregiver for another child, who is her child's best friend. She greeted the woman and walked on with her. In the meantime, my child was picked up so I went inside. I decided to come out again to ‬say hello to her when she was walking home with her child. I called to my child who is friends with her child. I was a step into my yard with my back turned to the street. While I was focused on my child, she strode past, pushing her child in a stroller, followed by the older caregiver walking with the other child. By the time one of my children and I had walked out our front gate, they were half a block up the street without a look back.‬ That hurt!
    ‏‪I know she only has a couple of hours to spend with her child before she rushes off to work. Maybe that explains why she didn't stop to say hello, because she didn't want conversation to waylay her when she was in a rush and she expected me to talk. It could be that she didn't want us to converse in front of our children, young ones, or the caregiver of the ‬other child. Still, it hurts knowing that she rushed past the open gate to my yard, where she knows I live, while my back was turned, beckoning my child.‬

What on earth do I do?

2. nikidion

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are overthinking it.

Just send her a text asking when she's going for a run and if you can join her. That's all.

Also, it's a good thing that you decided to talk to another friend about your ex. Never talk about your ex with the person you are interested in, it's just horrible. It makes you look bad and it makes the other person feel bad as well.

#2 nikidion, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014