1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

homophobia from strangers

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by idek1701, Feb 4, 2014.

1. idek1701

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A couple of weeks ago I was stood in the bus queue (obviously waiting for my bus) and the people behind me were discussing the recent-ish UK legislation on same-sex marriage. Well, I say they were discussing it, it was mostly just about how unnatural it is and how Britain will go to sh** when the gays start getting married. Anyway, this is really the first time I've ever really experienced homophobia in real life, and although it wasn't directed at me personally, I still felt angry and kind of sick at what I was hearing. I genuinely think I saw red at what these people were saying. My question is, is it okay to confront people in public about it? I've been feeling guilty about not saying anything at the time and I feel I should have said something, but I was scared about what would have happened if I had.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Confront at your own risk I suppose. Those people are in a fast-shrinking minority, though. And even if they aren't, their shameful opinion is mostly irrelevant. Their hatred of homosexuality only really matters if they act on it. Until then, they're disgusting blowhards.

3. FrozenFae

I know what you mean. I'm still shocked when I encounter homophobia from stranges.

The worst one I recall was I was simply walking to go get something to eat and a bunch of dumb ass jock types came speeding by, and they threw this HUGE cup of soda on me and yelled out "die you f***ing fa***t!!!" I was too stunned to do anything for a good thirty seconds.

The good thing though is these evil and hateful creatures that pose as humans are dying out. More and more people are showing their support of LGBT rights, and I have hope that the next generation will be fully accepted and nobody will give sexual orientation a second thought.

4. King

It depends. Sometimes you may wish to confront people, but it depends on whether a scene will be caused or if they get more abusive. Did you feel safe at the bus stop? Was there anyone else there?

Personally i'd let them preach their ridiculous behaviour, unless they were directed discriminating someone, then more firm action would be required.

I think the easiest to confront or those that mock LGBT things for no real reason, but they are the people who not particular vicious and are just silly.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds overly ambitious to me. GSM orientations are too easy a target to be welcomed with open arms by those insecure of themselves/blinded by irresponsible application of faith. A few generations though, now we're talking.

6. Claudette

Claudette Guest

yes, I felt that LGBT was our next hurdle, and I always told people (Before I came out, but was always a LGBT supporter) "Homophobia, and discriminating against the LGBT community, will be our generations women's Rights, Slavery, segregation.. you can either change, or crumble and fall with your hateful beliefs". But much like Slavery, Women's Rights, Segregation... it will never be completely eradicated, only socially unacceptable to be so.