1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with a friend who has internalized homophobia?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Noir, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Noir

How do you? What if a person is perfectly fine with their friends being gay, but not themselves? What if they know they have these homoerotic tendencies, but are afraid to act on them? What do you say to a person like that?:icon_sad:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you know this information?

I'm curious?

Also, it takes time for any amount of self realization, especially if you've been programmed all your life by society to think one way.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was "the friend with internalized homophobia" for a long time, and my friends just waited me out and supported me completely when I was finally over it and ready to come out.

4. Noir

She told me herself--we've been talking more and having some deeper conversations, and it came up. She knows she should have been born the opposite gender, but she also feels stuck with the body she's got. It concerns me because she seems like she's forcing herself to like guys, even though she's attracted to me. She told me she's afraid of living a gay lifestyle because it can never be viewed as completely "normal" in the age we live in, plus in the past she was berated for her gender identity and made to feel not good enough because she was a girl and not a guy.

I don't want to push her to be with me, it mostly concerns me that she can't be completely happy with herself. I don't know what to say to her to support her, besides that she's fine the way she is. :icon_sad:

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I honestly think you need to find out the reasons why she has internalized homophobia and see if you can help her work through it. If she likes you and wants to be with you, there must be something else keeping her from doing so.

I know as someone who still has a bit of internalized homophobia that bad experiences can make it worse, so she just may need someone to make her feel safe.

6. Noir

I feel like her non-acceptance among her peers in high school led to it, where she never felt good enough and she was rejected by a girl she liked who was straight. It was in front of everyone too, in a very un-subtle manner. Still, that she picks that specific word to use--"afraid." I guess I don't feel there's more of a "why," but I could ask her about it more. Would that be considered prying if it's with a good friend?

I don't think she actually wants to be with me, but she made it clear she wishes we could back to that rough time in her life and meet again so I could be the one. She told me she wishes she wasn't so scared so she could be what I need. She feels ruined for girls, and doesn't see the possibility of having one as a life partner. I've currently been friend-zoned.:confused: It's painful, but it's also weird to think that she (or anyone) would want me.

7. Noir

Are there any EC'ers who think it would be rude, uncomfortable, or inappropriate to ask someone more about why they might have internalized homophobia? It's not technically my business and I don't want to be offensive!

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well if your friend reaches out to you in such a deep way, I don't see anything wrong with having a heart to heart on the issue. I mean don't be like "why are you homophobic"? But it seems like a prime opportunity to discuss this topic on a serious level.

You probably won't be able to remove indoctrination of what gender is supposed to be but you can open the dialog to help your friend cope with things.

9. Noir

Okay, I will give it a try next time it comes up! Of course I wouldn't be as tactless and forward as "why are you homophobic, huh?," that would be rude! But I do agree it would be a good opportunity to discuss this with her, since it seems like she hasn't had a lot of people to help her deal with it.

I definitely don't want to attempt to remove gender-indoctrination. I won't tell her what gender is/isn't, how she should think, feel, etc. That's something personal that only she can decide for herself. I just want to help her cope and convince her that she's fine exactly the way she is!! She shouldn't feel the pressure of being a man in a woman's body, and if it comes down to it, the pressure of liking women (or a woman--that's me! :icon_wink) as such.

It's fine to be a male. It's fine to be a female. It's fine to be both, or neither. And it's fine to love exactly who you love, whoever they might be! That's how I myself truly feel, so I'm not gonna convince anyone to change who they are anytime soon.

10. duende84

I have a friend that always voiced strong homophobic statements but when I told him I am gay he was cool because our friendship matters. That also might have changed his view on homophobia. Because people fear that which they don't know.

11. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think the main thing is to show your support and treat being gay as being normal and okay.

12. tulips2198

tulips2198 Guest

They tell you

13. Noir

This is very true, and it's great that your friend did that for you :slight_smile: Well, she knows about me and my orientation, and she told me she's kind of in awe and admiration of gay couples because they seem so brave to her, doing what she can't. But then again, I guess she does fear it because she doesn't know it? Being shot down before given the chance, and all. At the same time, she doesn't particularly want to take the chance. :icon_sad:

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 10:12 PM ----------

Tell you what? :confused:

---------- Post added 8th Feb 2014 at 10:12 PM ----------

I will do my best!