1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I handle a change in counselors?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Bring it, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Bring it

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm looking forward to pretty much everything about high school next year except for one thing. I get a new school counselor.

I've become a pretty good friend of my middle school counselor, and I would (and have) trust her with pretty much anything. But I'm going to the high school next year, so I won't be able to come to her for advice anymore. I've met my high school counselor once for registration prep and I don't know what it is about her, but I just don't like her very much. I know I don't know her very well at all and I really do hate to make assumptions, but I just can't see her being nearly as helpful as my middle school counselor is.

I was thinking of keeping my old counselor's phone number just in case I need her advice and my new counselor can't help. Is that an ok thing to do? Or should I just try to make due with the new counselor?

2. IJustWantToLove

Hey Bring It =)

I'm not sure about how this whole counselor thing works, to be honest, but I assume it's some sort of giving general advice and helping out with problems, etc. Is that right?

If so I'd say maybe you could ask your Middle School Counselor if it's okay for her if you come back to her for advice if it is needed. I guess she's the one who has to decide if that's okay, but I can't really see why it shouldn't be ok.

Then again maybe you could try to get to know your new school's counselor, maybe she's nicer than you thought. But if you feel like you can't deal with her, and I guess there's need for some sort of bond of trust or something (I don't know with which kind of matters school counselors deal, sorry =/), then that's okay, I guess. There are people out there you like and there are people out there you don't like, I've never met a single person who liked everyone they encountered...
    Hope this helps...

3. willycubed28

Believe me I understand the whole changing of the counselors thing. I loved my middle school counselor and she was there when I needed her the most when my parents was going through a divorce. Then when I got into high school it was a different story. The guy counselor was nice but he wasn't comforting and he had religious views where if I needed advice he would always say pray about it. So, I completely understand. The best thing I think you could do is to give her a chance, and if it turns out to be a bad thing then you don't have to talk to her about your life.