1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to propose to my church the idea of becoming Open and Affirming.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by phoenix89, Feb 8, 2014.

1. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it would be great for my home church to become open and affirming, but I do no know how well that would go over. For one of which, I do not feel like I am in the position to propose this because I do not attend regularly because of school, and when I am home, I still do not have the best attendance rate. Also, I do not know how the congregation will handle it. My cousin is the song leader, and he is open and has a partner but when it got around that he is gay and he and refused to step down, we lost members. Which is something that we really can't afford with such a small congregation. There are 30 or less who attend regularly, and I'm not one of them.

I am also unsure on how to even approach the minister about it. He has been at my church for 3 years and in that time I have attended 5 times, including my Mom's funeral. Also, if he follows the pattern of all the ministers that have worked in my church in my life time, he will be gone in 2 years and the church will have to search for a new minister, yet again. My church is not very stable with keeping ministers. It is actually rather ridiculous, to be honest.

I want to do this, but I do not know if I have the authority to ask even though I am a member, and 2 will it even be worth it, if we are probably going to get a new minister in a couple of years.

#1 phoenix89, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. iamawesome

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    omg!!! you do not know how bad i want to do this with my church i am a very active member and i know the preacher very well. we are a mega church and with just the sheer size of our church 2000 regularly i feel like that would be impossible!! but good luck to you i would wait until you are more of a regular attender to say something.

3. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I might wait. I grew up in this church, but after middle school, my attendance rate started to slip, and the only reason I went at the end of high school was because I was a deacon. I stopped that though when i was in college because I couldn't attend regularly. Good luck with yours too, I have never attended a church the large. The largest I have attended is the one at school and it is about 200, maybe, but is also 90% college students.