1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building Muscle

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dmarc92, Feb 8, 2014.

1. dmarc92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I need expert muscle building advice or at least advice from some one who knows what they're doing. Im a very skinny guy and I've been trying to build muscle mass for a year now and I've had no luck. I know going to the gym is crucial to building muscle but I can't always make it to the gym and when I can Im kind of skimp on going because Im a little embarrassed of how skinny I really am. I do a lot of at home exercises and I perform them daily, making the workouts more intense every day, I've done this all last year but no results. I wasn't really expecting to end the year looking like hulk but some improvement would have been satisfactory nut I've have none. Working out for an entire year and trying to eat healthy for an entire year can really put a damper on my motivation to continue to exercise and build muscle. Has anyone followed a certain exercise itinerary that could possible help me build muscle quick or maybe know a list of home exercises that could be a supportive routine for the days I can't make it to the gym?? Anything really would help me at this point because everything I've tried so far has not helped me in the least.

-Thank You.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The gym certainly helps, but you can get all the muscle mass a reasonable person needs with body weight exercises: push ups (many variations thereof), pull ups, squats, sit ups, planks, leg lifts, lunges, dips, and probably a few others I'm forgetting. This combined with eating protein within 45 minutes after working out (protein shakes are great) has been what is giving me noticeable results.

3. dmarc92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yea Ive tried a lot of those exercises but it hasn't really helped and Ive thought about protein shakes but I hear a lot of bad rumors and Im not sure what brand or whatever is best because Ive been told you can buy them in like powder form or something like that. Im not very educated in that department so if there are any specific brand that you might know first hand or heard of that shows pleasing results than please share them with me.

Thanks Again.

4. secrethermit

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Getting enough protein and calories is critical. Also make sure you're lifting weights that are heavy enough so that it's only possible to do 8-10 reps.

If you don't have these two aspects sorted you won't see any results at all. That's my experience anyway.

---------- Post added 9th Feb 2014 at 04:45 PM ----------

I doubt there's much variation between protein powder brands but MyProtein is pretty popular and cheap where I live. I just mix it in empty 500ml water bottles with room temperature water to prevent it going lumpy.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Muscle Milk is the brand I'm using now. There might be better ones out there, but there's nothing bad in it. No HGH, steroids, anything like that. Just nutritious stuff. It comes in lots of flavors, so choose the one you like best. :slight_smile:

Those exercises might yield better results if you have one right after a session. I heard from a personal trainer that it's the best period for sending those nutrients right to the muscles.

6. dmarc92

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'll check out those brands. And thanks for the workout tips !! Im definitely considering getting the protein shakes to become part of my exercise routine. I haven't really thought about getting the shakes because thats more money spent but a year of trying to gain muscle didnt work so maybe protein shakes and a healthier life style would better my chances of getting the results I want.

Are there any other workout tips I should try following when trying to gain muscle? Besides the protein shakes. I noticed the lift heavier weight comment and I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I also want to work on leg muscles because I do sports and improving my leg strength would benefit me. If there's anything else you could share with me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again guys.