1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taking care of parents when they get older

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by fortheloveoflez, Feb 10, 2014.

1. fortheloveoflez

I'm at a stage in my life where I have the option to move to another country. I just would feel guilty to leave my parents behind because it would be difficult to care for them as they age if I am so far away. Ideally I think it would be awesome to feel independent and on my own but on the flip side the taking care of the parents part is really nagging at me...I guess I just don't know what to do...don't really know how to fulfill both at once. Are there any of you (hopefully older non-teenage folks) who had this same dilemma and how have you dealt with it?

2. willycubed28

The thing is the decision needs to be left up to them where, when they want to be taken care of. A lot of elderly people like to live in assisted living and that isn't a nursing home. Talk with your parents. That is what I would do. I would say don't put your life on hold. I know you probably want to take care of your parents, but they still need to be the one making the decisions of how they want to be taken care of, if that makes any kind of sense?

I only say this because my grandmother was deprived of that and she was still able to take care of herself, but her son felt the need to take away her home, her dignity, and move her in with him and his wife. A year later they were tired of her so they put her in a nursing home. Again that wasn't her choice. Let them choose.

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At this point I really don't know if I'd do it again. At a certain point it can give them a false impression they're still managing well on their own when they're not really, and the adaptation to a new environment when they finally have to move doesn't always go over well. I do have to say it was a good reason/excuse to be single and not dating tho...

4. Cigsmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi fortheloveoflez!

Here in Manila, Philippines, it is somewhat of a culture for Filipinos to live with his/her parents if they are still single. But they are also a lot who move out and leave their parents on their own but it doesn't mean that they don't take care of them. Some provides monetary support to their parents while still being able to live their own lives and they just occasionally visit them when they have the chance.

I think it is very sweet of you to think about your parents' needs and wants/well-being at your age. But I also agree with willycubed28's reply. You should not put your life on hold solely because of them. Talk to your parents and finalize an arrangement that works best for both parties. Moving to another country where you will most probably be happy and will help you grow as an individual is not a bad decision and it shouldn't make you feel guilty about it. Maybe they can move with you [but that might be a drastic change for them] or stay where they are and just provide monetary support if they need it. And just visit them from time to time or just talk to them regularly.

Hope this helps a little!

Cheers!
    Cigsmoker [Sam]

5. fortheloveoflez

Thank you all for the wonderful responses! :grin: