1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Met this guy and he's crushing hard on me... But it's not that simple

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by slimred, Feb 13, 2014.

1. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This has all happened quite quickly over the last few weeks.

I met a guy. We hit it off really well at first and were seeing each other a lot. But things have become a little complicated already.

Part of the problem is I think he's still attached to his ex bf in some way or another. They were married for 10 years and have been separated for a couple of years but live almost as neighbours. Last week he had to tell his ex he was possibly seeing someone and it seems to have completely messed his head up. I don't think he's had a serious relationship since they separated.

The other part of the problem is that he says he has really strong feelings for me, stronger than he expected. We were meant to be going out at the weekend but now he texted me saying he needs time on his own this weekend to sort things out.

The reality is that I haven't fully worked out what my feelings are for him yet. I like him, but don't know if my feelings are immediately as strong as his feelings are for me. I was happy to let things evolve and give it time, but it seems like I'm in danger of hurting him if he does decide he still wants to see me after all this and then I decide I can't return the intense feelings he has for me. I'm really confused about what to say to him at this point. I want to see where this is going but I feel under pressure, and don't know if I can cope with the baggage that comes with this situation.

If anyone can offer me some advice that would be great. I'm really not sure how to deal with this or how to reply to his text. In a way it seems like I've just walked into someone else's mess. I was happy to let things evolve as I said but feel now like my hand is being forced...

#1 slimred, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. slimred

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had a while to reflect since his text and I decided to text him back. I told him I totally understand he needs time to think if he doesn't know where things are heading. I also said he needs to be sure because the fact he's still married to this guy is a big thing. I think it's pretty obvious he still has some feelings for his ex and they are still technically married. I would hate to be the one who stood in the way of them getting back together, if it was going to happen. I have to put that before the fact that I like being with him, as I said it's very early stages and I'm unsure on where my head is at.

I'm gonna to talk to him about my feelings after the weekend. We've met each other at very strange times in each other's lives (me because I just came out to my Dad which I was worrying about for ages) which I think is partly why my head is a bit messy where my feelings are concerned. If we do decide to carry on seeing each other he needs to know I'm still working all of this out myself... Still not sure how to handle this part though as I won't want it to seem like I'm not as into him as he thought I was, if you know what I mean. The truth is I just don't know at the moment and I will need time to let things evolve and find out if we do continue to see each other.

I guess I'm now looking for suggestions on what to say to him next week when we talk. Thanks for any advice :slight_smile:

#2 slimred, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. King

Hmm this sounds tough, and I have no experience in this area. It does sound like you both need to take it slowly to allow yourselves time to deal with your emotions.

It could be best if you had a chat to each other about the situation and got your issues off your chests.