1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling work I am gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Annon, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started my first proper job in a supermarket at the begining of september.
    I get along with everyone so well, and a have a crush on a couple of gay guys at work. But, my dad is a manager there, he is in charge of commercial and security. And he is quite respected.
    I want to tell anyone who asked that I am gay. In fact I want to tell everyone that doesn't ask too, because I am proud. But I am worried that he might say something. He says he is fine with me being Bi, but he is often quite dismissive of it. And I don't want to up set my relationship with him, or cause a problem for him at work.

Im really stuck on what to do.

Thanks Guys!!! Any comments would be well appreciated!!! (!)

2. King

This is a tough issue. There is no need to worry about discrimination or anything like that as I assume you work for one of the big 4 who all have extensive equal opportunities policies.

In regards to your father, how long as he known? Perhaps he needs more time to adjust. He should be happy for you, but of course, you don't want to make him feel uncomfortable.

This may sound harsh, but your father may have to 'get over it', but it may be best to try and selectively tell people and trying to minimise his embarrassment.

Sorry I don't have a real answer to your dilemma.

3. IJustWantToLove

Are you guys close and do you talk about stuff like that with your dad? Because then it would, in my opinion, probably be best to ask him, explaining him that you would like to come out at work but wanted to let him know beforehand so he isn't dumbfounded when someone mentions it to him or makes a comment or anything because he didn't expect anyone at work to know.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You had me confused there for a second, but really, I think you're okay. Unless you are really obnoxious about it, there is no reason why that fact should be important at work beyond small talk with coworkers, and he might not even notice.

5. Annon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks
    I work for Sainsburys. My dad has known for over 9 months now. I was only going to tell a few people on my department, and hope it gets round to anyone that could be an interest. I wasn't going to shout it to everyone. But, I do hope everyone finds out eventually. It'll make me happier.
    Thank you so much for the response, King.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 12:15 AM ----------

Yeah, I am really close to my dad. Just the Gay thing is a little odd from his perspective. But he seems fine with it.
    Thanks IJustWantToLove

Sorry, I have said I am Bi for such a long time in my head that its become instinct, but now I think I am Gay. Thats why I must have confused you RSwordsman. Thanks for your comment.

---------- Post added 14th Feb 2014 at 12:25 AM ----------

I was wrong, It's since Aug 2012, not Aug 2013.

6. King

I don't see any reason why you can't tell a your co-workers, but as suggested above just tell your dad that you may tell them so he isn't put on the spot.