1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do most guys list sexual orientation on fb?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Stridenttube, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Do most guys list there orientation on social networking sites? I was searching and it's like there aren't very many guys on there who are gay? :icon_sad:

How is anyone supposed to meet any gay guys if everyone is closeted?

2. Simple Thoughts

I dunno good luck I guess.

Personally I have myself listed bisexual on facebook :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Not that worried about it. Just was curious if it was the norm for people to leave it off or to lie.

4. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I barely use Facebook but I don't have my "interested in" filled out. Whenever I see it missing on someone else's profile I always wonder if they're not straight.

5. willycubed28

Most people are connected to their family on facebook too, and it is their call if they want to be out to their family. They aren't lying. They are just keeping it to themselves.

6. Foxface

you know as comfortable as I am with it, I haven't told my semi-conservative family yet...so no not yet

though it isn't a secret. My avatar there has been the bisexual flag for like 6 months

7. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Okay. I guess a lot of people just don't list it to the public like I do. oh well.

8. Ravi-VIXX777

As much generalizing it can be, it has some truth to it. It only takes a few seconds and who's busy creating a Facebook account anyways.

Attached Files:

9. C P

C P

This.

I hardly use it much anyways so there are things I haven't bothered to fill out. I'm not interested in putting it up either way, for obvious reasons.

10. Hiems

So true. My crush had his left blank, so I was kind of excited. Then that excitement faded when listed that he was straight.

Because I'm FB friends with some relatives whom I don't want to come out to yet, my sexual orientation is left blank. The only things listed are gender and religious views.

11. apostrophied

I'd say some of them don't shout about their sexual preferences off the rooftops, so to speak, whatever those preferences are. I always thought that posting that kind of thing on FB is beyond weird, so I wouldn't say even if I were straight. Although if someone lists themselves as single but neglects to fill out their "interested in" field, that is likely to be a sign they're not straight.

12. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lol, I'm another one of those "admission by omission" types. I guess I play the part well because I've never been in a relationship or even kissed a girl, so most people think of me as the awkward nerd who is effectively asexual.

13. Emulator

I leave mine blank. Nothing to fill in anyway, though I would have put asexual if there was an option for it.

But that generalisation is true for some at least. I talked to someone who put that he was interested in women on his profile, and he said he didn't want to be assumed gay if he didn't put anything there.

14. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. I don't like the connotations attached to "interested in". I'm openly gay and I'm "in a relationship" with another male. If I added "Interested in males(or guys, can't remember what it says)" on top of that it would make me sound whore-y, in my opinion.

---------- Post added 16th Feb 2014 at 11:40 PM ----------

Well you never know. Not to give you false hope, and you should respect his labels, but I think the only time I ever had an "interested in" filled out on FB it read "women". But this was a long time ago(as in, FB was still only for college students! I know, #old) and I was Narnia-deep in the closet.

#14 SongshiQuan, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  15. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it says relationship status but not interested in, I assume the person's not straight. If neither of those is listed, I don't assume anything. Mine just says my gender but not my relationship status or interested in. But based on some of the pages I like and things I post, you can guess I'm at the very least a fervent supporter of LGBT rights.

16. Hiems

I've seen some people who do that. If they're in a relationship with someone of the opposite gender, then they leave "interested in" blank because the assumption is that they're straight. So they leave the "interested in" section alone to avoid redundancy.

Yeah... I don't want to keep my hopes up, lol. I just take their sexuality at face value and move on with my life. I would rather pursue someone who's out and about than someone who's Narnia-deep in the closet. Life's too short to wait for the latter >_<

17. NotSureWhatIam

Just changed it, lol, I'm out to everyone that asks so I might as well put it in my about section.