1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom is a Bad Conversationalist

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Noir, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Noir

It's not just hard to talk to my mom, it's hard to listen to her. Mostly because she does almost all the talking and no listening. I just had an important discussion with her about registering for college classes and tuition and whatnot, but I was getting confused and having a hard time following!! :confused:

She always rambles. She makes the conversation either focus on her or something she feels she KNOWS about down-pat, and you should listen to her two cents on the matter. She constantly is rephrasing what she's already said and explaining herself, either to make the conversation longer or just to make sure I've heard it. She only listens to reply. I feel like I have to repeat my point at least five times before she's understood me! I have to focus immensely mentally, or I'll get lost as to what we were talking about or what I needed to say. And because of this, she feels I don't like to talk to her in general (which I don't) and I'm rude for trying to make the conversation end as soon as possible.

And she commandeers other people's stories!! I have to fight for my voice to be heard, so I mostly just try to keep quiet. But this is getting ridiculous!!

Does anyone have any tips? I could use some advice!

2. Sarcastic Luck

Oh, jeeze. Sounds like my mom. She also has a habit of asking a question and rambling for a bit after it, then getting mad when I don't answer the question she asked several minutes ago.

So, yeah. Advice would be nice, too lol

3. AAASAS

Ha that's my mom,

She loves talking about her self, or things that she knows about, and hardly gives a shit about what you know :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, unless it's of course about her.

4. Noir

So I'm not the only one! :rolle: Does anyone have some pointers for the three of us?

5. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had a conversation with my mom on the phone where she didn't interrupt me at least 3 times then I'd be worried something was wrong with her. Drives me nuts.

6. Kreiger

Mine too, although my sister's worse with this.

7. Landslide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have that problem with my dad and I usually just ignore him. Or if I feel like being blunt I'll just tell him he's made his point, he doesn't need to repeat it and that I'm done talking.