1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apartment energy bill advice

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mrcake, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Mrcake

Hello everyone. I have been living in my apartment for 6 months and have not been able to get a steady utility/energy bill. I really need some help for saving money on my bill, because I cannot afford to pay $140 a month. I started paying $50 during the late summer, and I have paid $80, $110, $110, and now it's up to $140... I am very energy efficient and turn off my lights when they are not in use, I have my heat turned down to 60, and I have my windows sealed to keep the heat in. Any other ideas to save money on heating? Is it cheaper to use the heaters in my apartment, which are electric, or is it cheaper to use a tiny space heater to heat up just the area I'm in currently? I also turn my heat off in my room during the night because it likes to be on 24\7, regardless of the temperature I set it at.

2. apostrophied

Sounds like you're doing the right things; your utility bill will rise in the winter no matter what you do. You could ask tube company to bill you an average amount each month over the whole year if you can't deal with the fluctuation.

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Check if your energy provider has implemented different rates for peak/off-peak periods (in some areas, electricity during peak periods is more expensive), adjusting your usage patterns may help a bit if that's the case (for example avoid running a clothes dryer or cooking something in oven during peak periods).

If the baseboard heater in your bedroom has a broken thermostat (i.e. keeps going and going), you could ask the landlord to have it repaired, tell them it's a safety issue if the baseboard doesn't ever shut off.

If your apt has its own water heater (and it's electric) make sure the various faucets in your unit don't leak/drip (it's the landlord's responsibility to repair those as well).

#3 awesomeyodais, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  4. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Two tips!
    1. Most Power companies have Financial plans you can get on I.E. they charge you a steady amount a month, regardless of usage say like 80/month, if you use more or less they take it out or credit you after 12 months

2. Xbox or PC can heat a decent size room at a lower cost (albeit slower, PS3 doesn't really get hot enough)

I personally use #2 lol

5. KWDBM

Do you use your stove/oven a lot? That's one thing that surprised me this year, our energy bill is higher then it was last year even though I thought we were doing everything the same... But last year we were bbqing and eating with friends a lot more often. We've been using the oven/stove a lot more this year and apparently that makes a difference.

6. Mrcake

Yeah I use it for every meal, but that hasn't changed. I am sure it is the heat that makes me pay up the ass. I try my best to turn it down when I am not in the house or am sitting in a room, but it's hard when it's cold outside. I was just wondering if there's a more efficient way to save money, but I don't think there is.

7. laurenc

laurenc Guest

you could turn on the heat and then turn it off and use a blanket or afew more for staying warm

8. pansy

bundle up tighter and leave the heater off if you can, unplug appliances when you're not using them, turn your water heater off/down if it's electric and you're not planning on using a lot of hot water that day, turn off your wireless router when you're not using it, basically all the little things add up! good luck.

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Electric space heaters use about 1500 watts. That reallllllllyyyy messes up your bill.

10. Claudette

Claudette Guest

you may also try replacing your lights, switching to compact leds/florescent could save you some cash =o

11. apostrophied

You wouldn't happen to have your own washer/dryer, right? If you do, wash your stuff in cold water and hang it instead of shoving it in the dryer. I hear dryers are very expensive to run...

12. Mrcake

Did some research last night and found that my 1,500 kw heater will put out a lot of heat fora small amount of time, but can add up in cost. It's probably cheaper to use my normal heat for an extended time than to run that little thing for an hour a day. That can cost up to $3 a day or so. No apostrophield, I don't have a washer/dryer. I don't pay for my cold water bill. I pay up the ass for laundry too at $1.50 per load :/. Yeah living alone is expensive and you definitely pay for what you get. I guess I'll try the central heating method and keep my heat at 55 during the day/only run my little heater when I need it to quickly warm up a room. Hopefully I can get my bill to stay at $100 - cooking costs a lot too... #life #collegepoorness .

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like my life: only #childsupportpayments and #alimony :dry:

14. photoguy93

I'd call your company and ask them if they can help you understand it. Our bill has skyrocketed in our house, and it's no help that it has been crazy cold. Chances are....your bill is going up because of the weather but also because the companies have to make their money.
    Just cut back on what you can, but also think about your quality of life. :slight_smile: