1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything to help would be much appreciated...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by dd1, Feb 17, 2014.

1. dd1

dd1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm really just looking for someone to tell me that it will all be okay, that I will be fine, that there is nothing wrong or what I can do to fix this.

I haven't been out all that long but things were going good, I had found myself someone that I feel like I could love and things were going great, and I think they still are. Apart from I've recently been having gynormas mood swings, sometimes I feel on top of the world other times my mood is so black that nothing can cheer me up, but there is no warnings to the snap change of moods, I can be fine on minute and then bam I'm hit by a terrible drop, coming back up is slightly slower but not much and again not to much warning.

I feel like I am putting a lot of preassure on the relationship and this is adding to the pressure i put on myslef, I just want to go back to a normal stable feeling.

Please help

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you considered seeking professional help?

3. dd1

dd1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, but it's not for me, I would struggle to find a living in the work I love with that on my medical record and I find it really hard to actually talk to people anyway unless I really know them. so I need to sort in another way

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think there's any line of work for which seeing a therapist would be an automatic disqualifier. And even if that were true, you could go to someone who accepts sliding scale and pay for it yourself.

As hard as it can be to take the step to see a therapist, when you find the right one, it's as natural as talking to a best friend... and in a way, even more so, because their role os to be completley supportive and nonjudgmental no matter what you tell them.

I'd strongly suggest you reconsider. Given the mood swings and symptoms you're describing, it's going to be a challenge to resolve that all by yourself, but won't be difficult with a good therapist. And it is likely to put a major strain on your relationship if you don't get help for it.

Your problem is very solvable, but probably not without help.

5. dd1

dd1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    There are many lines of work that require medical examinations and certificates!

And although I can see your point I feel like going to see anyone at the moment would be detrimental, I have considered it before but I know that if I go now, resentfully feeling like i have been partly sent rather then it being my full decision I will not make anything of it and won't ever consider going again. So for now it is a no.

6. Sarah257

Consider this: Which would be worse, going to see a therapist and working through your problems on your own innitiative, or being ordered to go to one because someone notices the mood swings? At the least, the former shows that you take your work seriously and are not willing to jepordize it. I'm sure that will earn you some respect and leniency. I know that it can be hard to ask for help when you need it; I spent years not asking when, in retrospect, I probably should have. However, things can't get better if you aren't willing to do what it takes to make it so.

7. dd1

dd1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    From years of practice I'm pretty good at hiding my emotions and it's only when people really know me that I'm comfortable showing things or they can see the small changes, for instance my girlfriend says I have a different smile when I'm hiding emotions or a twitchy face when I'm trying not to cry, but she's had hours to study it closely, but to everyone else it would appear fairly normal.

Your correct it would be terrible to be sent from work, and on consideration it would be better to go, that doesn't mean I'm running there straight away, I want to give myself a bit more time first. But if I was togo then I wouldn't even know where to start, and it's not like I'm rolling in money? How do you even find someone let alone pluck up the cou
    urage to sit down and talk to a stranger!!

8. Sarah257

Hey, if you still need some time, then take your time. I'm just saying don't just push the thought of seeing a therapist out of your head completely. A therapist can be of great help, but can be a little confusing on how to start out. Best way to start is by doing a quick web search of therapists in your area. From there, you can call/email them and find out if any have any sort of financial assistance available. Many probably won't, but you may just luck out. For example, the Andrews Center does have financial assistance, and the screening to see if they can help is free. If nothing else, they can refer you to someone who can. (although I'm not sure if they are out where you live) Understand something, you don't have to pluck up the courage to tell them everything. All you have to do is pluck up the courage to the appointment. From there you can chit chat and get a little bit more comfotable. If after a while you still can't talk about anything because you're uncomfortable, you can always find a different therapist. Don't focus on the long term goals; focus on the immediate ones. The whole "baby steps" mentality can indeed work. Just don't get ahead of yourself and you'll be fine.

Oh, and you may be well versed in hiding your emotions, but eventually you will have a break down. Trust me when I say, it's not healthy to keep everything inside all the time.