1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stop while you can :)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Jessica79, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Jessica79

I have been cutting for a long time now and its addictive if you have started doing it please stop while you can it is not a nice thing to get into :frowning2: :tears:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need to speak to a medical professional.

Also when you think you are going to cut, wear a rubber band and then cut that to fool your body into thinking g you cut something. I don't cut but from people who have said they do this is a stopgap measure for true help.

3. Jessica79

I have tried getting help my therapist helps but a few days later I keep getting depressed again :frowning2:

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well therapists only can help you find the answer for yourself. I'm not being harsh but there is truly some personal effort required to defeat it. Try what I said.

5. Foster

Also when you think you are going to cut, wear a rubber band and then cut that to fool your body into thinking g you cut something. I don't cut but from people who have said they do this is a stopgap measure for true help.

You're speaking from what "people you know" have said works. I personally deal with self harm, and you can't "fool" your body into think you've cut when you haven't. It's not the action of cutting that's addictive, it's the pain. If you're not getting the pain, you're not getting the fix. Also, who's to say she's not putting in personal effort to try and stop? It's an addiction, and it takes allot of time and allot of help to overcome. Not just effort and a rubber band.

6. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you like the suggestion "keep cutting yourself because you like the fix of the pain?" Is the way to go? Ok, duly noted...

Please, that is NOT helping the issue. I'm trying to suggest a non self harming method but obviously since I do not cut my advice is invalid. :dry:

7. apostrophied

I heard you can snap the rubber band, it hurts like a b-----, but it's not cutting.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm not the only one who has heard of rubber bands being used in one form or another.

9. sammy1

I have cut myself before and u know what stops me from doing it?... The fear of getting necrotising fasciitis AKA flesh eating disease, it is strangely a big fear I have. It may be very rare to get it just by cutting yourself with a razor blade but there is always the possibility

#9 sammy1, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  10. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how addictive cutting is. I'm a former self-harmer and have a few scars to show for it. I've been self-injury free for nearly 3 years now. What helped me to stop cutting is to find a different outlet. I made the conscious choice to stop cutting, and I began writing poetry. Everytime I experience intense emotions (depression, anger, boredom) I pick up a pen and start writing. I also enjoy photography, so I'll sometimes go and look for things to photograph, even if it's just a bird in the garden or a pretty flower with a bee buzzing around it.

Exercise is also a good way of releasing a dose of endorphins, which would make you feel happier and better about yourself. Even if you just go for a brisk walk around the block, it's still exercise and will still get the job done.

The important thing about getting over self-harm issues (in my opinion) is to find an alternative to cutting. I understand the thrill and adrenaline rush it gives when you slice open your skin, but I also know it IS possible to stop. I wish you the best of luck (*hug*)

11. AmiBee

I know it's the rush of pain that is giving you relief. It's hard to let go, but it's not the best way to deal with depression. I am a former self-harmer (burns on arms with hot metal objects). When I got real help for my depression (meds and therapy) I was able to give that up. That was in my 20s and I'm in my 40s now. The exercise idea is also helpful. Even if you absolutely have to force yourself to get up and move.

12. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it the pain that happens to release endorphins? In that case your natural endorphins do get released after a strenuous activity.

Runners high anyone?

13. apostrophied

No, it's a pretty common tip. It's not the best solution because it's still self-harming, but it's better than the alternative, I suppose.

14. Jessica79

Thank you for the help but nothing works :frowning2: I have also had professional help and that hasn't worked

15. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was gonna advise you to dispose of everything you use to harm yourself. However... if the addiction is that strong you might discover more dangerous methods to harm yourself.

Do you self-harm because you just want to feel something? For a rush? Or is it something else? The key to stopping might be to consider why you're going through with it and self-harming. It is clearly causing you a lot of distress and you wish to stop. But still you're doing it. I do not intend to sound condemning at all.

I cut for a short while and was lucky to stop. I found a new way to harm myself. I ran until my legs felt like cement. I slowly managed to reduce this to healthy levels. It is cliche but exercise does work wonders for the brain.

Sometimes nothing helps. It is impossible to concentrate on anything else. I lie on the floor and wait for the pain to return to a lower level. Process, cry, and continue. Try that? So if the thoughts to self-harm never end; you probably cannot fight this alone.

Is it possible to confront any underlying issues? Maybe another professional would work. You cannot give up on your safety. Good luck?

#15 Lawrence, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014