1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive fear of abandonment

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sitri, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Sitri

I am always afraid that my close friends are going to leave me. I need constant reassurance that they aren't planning on ditching me. If I don't hear from them for a couple days I become utterly devastated. I feel that they hate me and want to stay away from me forever. I blame myself, start thinking that I am worthless and the time they spent with me was just charity. A friendship founded on pity, that they have grown tired of.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've felt that way too. But then they come around and I realize I was wrong.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I can relate, although I don't think those kind of relationships are healthy either. What has caused this fear?

4. Sitri

I wish a I knew. I just feel like everybody I care about is plotting to leave me.

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you have a preoccupied attachment style.

6. Sitri

I had to look that up, but it sounds about right. So, what do I do?

7. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you might find these links useful.

Forming healthy relationships with an anxious attachment style | Workhealthlife blog
    Attached the Book | Attached, a new book by Amir Levine, M.D. and Rachel S.F. Heller, M.A. explores The New Science of Adult Attachment and How It Can Help You Find
    Redeveloping Secure Adult Attachment |

Therapy can help. What can also help is forming a relationship with a person with a secure attachment style (unfortunately insecure attachment styles tend to attract - preoccupied with dismissing is one of the worst combinations). One of the major things that perpetuates a person's attachment style is their tendency to act in ways that encourage others to react to them the way their parents originally did. Do you ever find yourself testing people, trying to get them to prove they care about you? That can push people away sometimes, confirming your worst fears. The best way to get someone to nurture you is to tell them how you feel, using 'I' statements, and check with them what was really going on. Something like 'I tend to worry a lot that my friends are going to stop being friends with me. When I didn't hear from you for a couple days, it brought back these worries. Can you tell me what you were doing those couple days?'

Learning to self-soothe is another big thing. Can you calm yourself down without someone else's help? A lot of people with preoccupied attachment styles struggle with this. Try to figure out something you find soothing (for me it's A Slower Speed of Light - the graphics and music are very calming).

I can relate - I'm still trying to figure out whether my attachment style is more preoccupied or unresolved, but whatever it is, it's not healthy.

#7 Ettina, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  8. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Twinsies is all I can say.