1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Greek Life, is it worth it or not?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BradThePug, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I was offered a bid by Delta Lambda Phi, which is the gay fraternity on my campus. I have until tomorrow at noon to decide if I want to accept the bid or not. The thing is, I'm not sure that with the cost it is worth it. For me, it would cost 645 dollars for my first year, and then 840 dollars for the next year. There is some fundraising that goes into things too, but I'm not sure how much that would take off of it. (The sad thing is that this is the cheapest fraternity on campus.)

That's a lot of money for a college guy starting transition soon.. So, people that have been in Greek life, was it worth it for you or not?

2. apostrophied

What?! You have to pay to be in one of these groups? Sorry, you can tell I've never been in one lol... I have no clue if they're worth it, but my friend is in one and she seems to like it. They don't select their members though, they take any girl who's interested.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard very mixed things. Some fraternities can open doors to job opportunities and such if they are long-established fraternities with deep roots. I'm guessing the gay fraternity isn't that. :slight_smile:

And some other fraternities are flimsy excuses for unending parties and debauchery. :slight_smile:

You can develop some pretty deep bonds with your frat brothers. But if you're good at making connections with people with other groups that don't cost hundreds of dollars to join, and money is an issue... I'd probably pass, and find other ways to make social and networking connections.

For what it's worth, Oberlin banned fraternities and secret societies some 100+ years ago and from what I heard from people who had spent time at other campuses, the complete lack of Greek life was, for the most part, a huge positive thing, so it can really go both ways.

4. Beantown

Beantown Guest

I'm so jealous, we don't even have sororities or fraternities here.