1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roommate's perfume

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Mysz, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Mysz

My roommate uses this perfume every day called Red, or something like that. It doesn't smell bad, but she sprays it all over herself and the smell permeates the air for the next couple of hours in our small room. Again, it's not bad, but it makes my nose really itchy and I have to breath through my mouth or keep pinching my nose closed. I could open a window but at this time of the year it's too cold to do that. Whenever she walks back in from class or a party (usually just as I've gotten rid of the smell :dry:slight_smile: it comes back... (I don't wish to sound mean, as it applies to both of us and anyone who wears sockless shoes, but the smell when we take off those shoes isn't so hot either. She wears Uggs every day and I thought they wouldn't be a problem, but nope).
    Scented air fresheners alleviate the problem somewhat, but I dislike layering smells on top of each other. It becomes too messy and overpowering. Are there any air fresheners that can eliminate smells instead of causing them?

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Febreeze does make a smell Neutralizer, so instead of it being scented, it just has a neutral smell to it.

3. oust also is a neautraliser i think.

4. TraceElement

I know most shoe stores have these little balls you put in your shoes to help with the smell.
    Can you ask your roomie to put on her perfume after she leaves?

5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you mentioned this to your roommate?

6. apostrophied

Air fresheners will never "eliminate" smells. They will either cover them up with fragrance, thereby introducing even more chemicals in the air, or coat the offending molecule with a chemical compound that will prevent it from binding to the smell receptors in your nose. Now, if the perfume is already irritating to you, the last thing you want to do is to bring in more chemicals into your environment.

As to what to do... I'd say open the window, but I understand that it's a bit problematic at this time of year. Maybe explain to her that you are allergic and ask her to put it on when she's already out?

As for the Uggs, I don't know what to say... You risk offending her, as no one can claim being allergic to stinky feet. Perhaps casually mention the baking soda trick to her (although there are no guarantees of that working if the boots are really stinky). Or mention how amazing it is that one can actually wash Uggs with cold water and soap in the kitchen sink. Otherwise, get her cute cotton socks as a gift and stay the heck away from them boots lol.

Btw are they real Uggs? If not, they may be made of synthetic suede, which could make her feet perspire a lot. I have real Uggs and never had a smell problem, although I have sweaty feet in general.

7. Mysz

I'd feel embarrassed to ask her to put on her perfume outside (especially since the container is as tall as my head), but I guess that's the best solution. I was considering a smell neutralizer but after hearing what you said, apostrophied, I'm hesitant over that idea.
    I doubt I'm allergic, the smell is just really strong. It's like each spray releases a platoon of little soldiers in fruity scented tutus dead set on conquering your nose.

8. Smoochies

Smoochies Guest

Pardon but she seems a bit selfish.

9. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You need compounds that absorb the organic molecules that cause odor. Whether it is due to oxidation of the mercaptans found in things that smell or that it traps other substances that's what you need.

Also opening the window and sunlight helps disperse and degrade small volatile organic molecules.

So from a chemical standpoint just "masking a smell" doesn't do anything, the molecules that stimulate your olfactory nerves are still present.

As far as biological based smells, eliminate the bacteria that create the compounds (such as in sock less shoes) and the smell will go away.