1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falling in love with your friend

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by My Name, Feb 21, 2014.

1. My Name

Out Status:
    Some people
    Time ago, I started to feel really attracted to one of my friends (she is a girl) and well I havent yet come out to her but Im planning on doing so soon.
    The thing is that for some reason we always end up talking about sexuality or those things and even though she is straight sometimes it doesnt feel that way.

Would you recommend on telling her how I feel about her? Or should I just keep it quiet? :S

2. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if ur meant to b more than friends it wil happen,just analyze how she behaves with boys and girls . If shes wants ppl for sex in general bc shes a player or if she likes girls in a genuine manner like u do or guys genuinely .thats the only way u can tell someones`s orientation. and no i wouldnt tell her yet but wait and see other advice ppl on ec will tell you b4 telling her.

3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been in a similar situation with a friend. I came out to him but didn't tell him that I liked him. He's straight, unfortunately, but he's supportive of me and we're still friends, and I'm glad I didn't creep him out and lose him as a friend.

4. I think we've all been through this. You can come out to her if you wish but may I suggest not telling her about your feelings for her right away? See how she reacts before doing anything, that's what I'd do anyway.

5. Landslide

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I use to feel that way about my best friend. And I came out to her but never told her how I felt. For me it was the right choice, we still maintain a great friendship to this day. So I agree with what those guys said, come out to her but dont share your feelings just yet. Get her reaction and see if she supports you and if she starts to get closer to you or leave little hints that she likes you. Then yeah, it's possible she reciprocates your feelings.
    Good luck, hope all goes well for you

6. Famine

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I sort of feel that way to a friend, though I'm not sure if I'm just being overly curious, or what. Anyhow, I know what you mean about her saying she's straight though it appears as else- Personal experience.

But yeah, as the other poster said, just pay attention to how she acts around boys and girls, because though you said 'it doesn't feel that way', it might just be because you're paying extra attention to how she acts around girls and yada yada.

I think that you should come out to her first if you haven't already during those 'talks'- Then see how she reacts to it...

7. Beetle

Going through that now. Crushing on the straight friend hurts, but since I've been coming out I feel confident I'll find someone else that will return the feelings.

I haven't told mine, she knows I'm gay but doesn't know I got a crush on her, but it differs from person to person. Some will feel uncomfortable and try to distance themselves from you, others will be supportive and continue being good friends.

Maybe try seeing if the feelings will go away first? I've crushed on other friends before and they eventually went away, some fairly quickly.

It works the other way around too...straight men crushed on me before and it probably hurts them to find out I'm gay.