1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sal, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Sal

Sal Guest

My best and only true friend has been dating someone for the past few months. I was jealous at first, and still kinda am, but i've mostly gotten over it. After talking with my friend and expressing my concerns i've come to the conclusion that, while she'll always consider me to be her best friend, her special someone comes first. And while i may be miffed by this, I understand, well not really, this is how things will be until they eventually break up (is it wrong that I'm looking forward to this?)

Anywho, the problem is that plans we've previously made have to be altered. We'd made a promise to be each other's 'dates' to the junior and senior end of the year social events. But now she has a significant other and there isn't any room for me in her plans, thus obliterating all of my plans. I now require a companion to these social events but am unaware of how to go about finding one. My friend doesn't believe that i'm capable of finding someone and even laughed at the very idea of me being in a relationship with anyone. I admit that this bothered me and i now feel motivated to find someone. yet it's not just about proving a point. I'd rather not go to these sort of things by myself, what's the point of going somewhere if you have no one to go with? It'd be pretty lonely.

I'm not looking for a girlfriend, yet. I just want someone to accompany me to a few social events, and maybe even develop a friendship with. Someone with no connection to my friend whatsoever (call me selfish, but her partner has been hogging her and i don't want to share whatever new friend i make) The problem is that I have no idea how to find this someone. Any advice? And once i do find them, how do i get them to be my date?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know about loneliness. And ya with couples most of the time I know who will last and who won't. And sal I wanna send u a friend request hope u accept it

3. Wildclover

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    First, you can totally go alone to dances or other activities. One of the most fun dances I went to in high school I went solo because my date wound up too ill to go. I hung out with all people who went solo and we had a great time because we could go anywhere with anyone with having someone hanging off of us the entire time. You might even find a single lady who would be a good match this way.

Second, try not to be too hard on your friend. Most people get very attached to thier significant other when a relationship is very new. After awhile this tends to wear off and you'll probably see more of your friend again. Give her time and let her rejoice in her happiness and hopefully she'll do the same when you meet someone (and won't that show her!).