1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Drunk

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlieChalk, Feb 23, 2014.

1. CharlieChalk

As childish as this sounds, basically getting drunk has become my coping mechanism for everything and, well, now I've moved to basically a dry-country.

Without booze, how do you just stop caring and let of the endless circulation of thoughts? I mean, I'm driving myself insane.

2. KFHarry

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    "The plan was, to drink until the pains over. But what's worst; the pain or the hangover?"

What you're doing could lead to an alcoholic addiction if it hasn't already.

Hobbies and interests are the answer to your question. If you haven't got one yet, start exploring. What interests you? Things that you can just lose yourself in and distract you from life's problems and worries?

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alcohol just wears out your internal organs and becomes less potent the more you drink it.
    You need to savor drinks with friends, and use those good times as your escape from the pressures of life. Drinking for drinkings sake only does so much before it brings you down further and further.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey. What you need to do is try and find hobbies that you can loose yourself in to take the place of the drinking.

5. apostrophied

Therapy to deal with the underlying issues. What you are describing is the first step toward alcoholism. See your move to a dry country as a chance to break the cycle before it overtakes you completely.

6. softsprite

Out Status:
    Some people
    Been there, done that. Still there doing that, truth be told. It takes a lot of strength to get out of that pit. A therapist once told me, "Ya know why alcohol is so hard to quit? Because it works!" And yeah, it does numb you out and stop the internal voices, it does make you not think. But it also destroys your ability to think in constructive ways that would help you sustainably overcome the situation you're in. Meditation helps. Exercise helps. Making plans. Reading. Writing. And most importantly, seeing friends who love and support you for who you are!

7. setnyx

as i sit here drinking shots of 151 rum. lol get a hobby its less expensive than drinking i the long run. i did know england was a dry country? that kicks that trip off the bucket list. you know what's better than getting a hobby, joining a gym. the exercise triggers endorphins and it gets you in shape.