1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cutting out addictions.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CharlieHK, Feb 25, 2014.

1. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

As of today I have gotten off the following:

-Soda Pop
    -Coffee
    - Self Harm

Now, I want to cut out junk food (not completely, but like limit it to maybe once or twice a week). Any tips on getting away from junk. I can't exactly rid the house of it either (I sorta live with these things, i think you call them "parents" and they do things from time to time, any ways). Any tips?

2. Beetle

Hmmm, try finding a healthier snack that you like and eat that when you get a junk food craving? Do you eat junk food often because you get bored and want to eat something or is it something more like dessert often?

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's increasing evidence that refined sugars and fats are physically addictive. So once you cut them out, you will feel a strong draw toward them for a period, but if you can keep them out of your diet for a week, the cravings will drop away almost completely.

The catch is, this means eliminating most packaged and prepared foods, as almost all are high in fats and sugars, because those are the easiest and cheapest ways to provide flavor, and the food processors are also aware of the addictive nature of them.

So the more you can eat fresh foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, freshly prepared meats) and eliminate refined foods, the more your body will begin to balance out and you'll lose the desire for the unhealthy stuff. Coffee and caffeine can be particularly tough addictions to break, as it takes a month or so for your endocrine system to rebalance itself so you don't feel sluggish in the mornings. But once you do... most people report feeling much more energy and more consistent energy throughout the day.

You may be able to encourage your parents to buy healthier foods, and cut down on the things like sodas and replace them with herbal teas. One of my personal favorites as a soda replacement is Good Earth Sweet and Spicy caffeine free. Available at almost all grocery stores, it is naturally sweet, with a bit of tangy flavor, it has no sugar or caffeine, and I usually keep a pretty large pitcher of it around when I don't feel like drinking water.

Ordering water at restaurants is also a great way to cut down on calories and sugar *and* save you a substantial amount of money... $2.50 for what's essentially a glass of water with some sugar and artificial flavoring is a complete ripoff, and you're a lot better off drinking plain water anyway. :slight_smile: