1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cried when i failed my drivers test

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Feb 25, 2014.

1. MerBear

Okay so yesterday, i went up to take my drivers test and completely failed, i was too nervous. Literally, i just couldn't take it. i was so nervous, my foot was shaking on the accelerator and i just, freaked out and then when she was talking with my dad..about it, i was crying my eyes out because, i was just so frustrated. i waited 4 hours at that DMV and finally, when its my turn...i fuck it up because i was too nervous. i tried to calm down...but i guess, i couldn't. when me and my dad are driving, i'm just fine...you know? im calm, kind of (he always yells at me when i drive) but i drive just fine but then, i got in the car with that lady...and i just lost it. i don't know. when i'm nervous, i can't calm down. I can't stop being nervous. I have anxiety, i suppose.

what can i do, to not be so nervous next time?

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Take aspirin that'll do ya just fine

3. laurenc

laurenc Guest

sorry to hear you failed your test. you could take a deep breath and let it out then see if you feel better

4. TyTy91

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey if I can pass you can pass! I have ADD and I passed. I failed my first attempt and felt sad however I practiced all day with my dad and the 2nd attempt I took it and I passed the driving test with an A I believe the actual score was like a 92 or 91!

But you can do it! : )

5. sammy1

I will probly be the same way when I go to take my test in April! I get nervous just thinking about it because I NEED my Novice licence so badly! I will for sure cry if I fail so u r not alone!!

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2014 at 09:54 PM ----------

Atleast you are young so u have lots of time to work on it but not me...I'm too old to NOT have a licence that's why I finally went and got driving lessons this year to increase my chances of passing

#5 sammy1, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't feel bad about crying. I had to take my driver's test twice before I got my license. The first time was a fail. And a stupid mistake I made, I could kick myself. I also cried because I was so disappointed with myself. But the test official was out to get me right from the start. I was too young and naive to do or say anything, but when we got into the car, he turned to me and said, "You know, I don't usually give licenses to women, especially white women". It was sexist and racist but I went ahead anyway, only to fuck it up :bang:

And my parents were buying me my first car that day, as they thought I'd get my license. We went to look for a car and bought it but I still didn't have my license and I cried the whole way home. I was lucky that I could get another appointment so soon, and the second time I aced it! And even got a compliment from the official...

So yeah, don't worry about it, you will get it, no matter how many times you have to try! And getting it legally would ensure that you're safe on the road, and not a danger to other drivers. Good luck! (*hug*)

7. Sully

Wtf? Really? Can we not give ridiculous advice?...sorry that sounds harsh but what is the point of aspirin in this situation?

8. Beetle

I failed mine twice when I was 17 all because I couldn't back up into a parking spot. I went back to take lessons and got my license the 3rd time. I cried the first time too because I was disappointed in myself and was desperate to drive because of my job (there were certain days I couldn't work because my parents wouldn't be able to drive me due to their jobs)

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the best things you can do to calm yourself (in any circumstance) is a simple form of meditation. As you're waiting, just close your eyes, and draw your attention inward to your breath, and breathe very slowly and deeply, so it's taking close to 10 seconds or so for each inhale, and another 10 for each exhale. As you exhale, imagine releasing all of your nervous tension and anxiety, and as you inhale, imagine drawing in calming, relaxing energy.

Then, when you are actually walking out to take the test, practice the same thing, but with your eyes open. There's an actual physiological response that if your breath is slowed down, it forces your heart rate and the adrenalin response to also drop back, effectively calming you down.

I'd also directly tell the driving examiner that you're nervous. Hopefully he or she will respond with empathy, and that should also help to calm you.

Take a moment once you're in the car to center yourself, take a breath, let out the last of the tension... and go for it. I'm not going to suggest you focus on your breathing while talking the test because you need that focus and attention to be on your driving. But hopefully the advance prep will prepare you and keep you calm enough you can get through it without a problem.

10. 696d676179

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've got friends who took four attempts before they passed, I passed on my second attempt and was glad of it because since then I have never crashed. All the people I know who passed on their first attempt crashed within a year...It will lead you to be a better driver trust me.

The way to calm down is to realise that the worst case scenario if you fail is you take the test again, it is not the end of the world.

11. AmiBee

It sounds like a case of anxiety, not a problem with your driving abilities. You will pass! I have anxiety issues at times. I've found that meditating really helps. Do it before the test. If you can start to meditate regularly, it will help even more. Good luck.

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't fret, I failed my first driving test too!

This is one of those situations where, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again".

13. Jim1454

You're not alone. I failed TWICE before I got my license. It was devastating at the time, but in the grand scheme of things it isn't that big a deal. Take Chip's advice and work on calming methods. And just the fact that you've gone through the process once already should make it easier the next time.

Good luck! You'll get it eventually.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't really empathize directly as I passed mine no problem, but performance nerves are very potent in a number of situations. You've got to block out the stakes and the pressure and just do your job. Like you said, you were fine before that. The only thing stopping you is being afraid of the tester.

It sounds like what happens to me when I sing in front of people. I know I'm solid; chances are I've practiced the song hundreds of times. But when my turn comes up, my heart just starts break dancing and I start trembling so much that I think people notice. I shouldn't be scared of something so trivial, but then I can finally get into it and relax. Once you get past the point of "I hope I do well" into "it's just what I do" territory, you will find things go much more smoothly. :slight_smile:

15. MerBear

I tried, the breathing but it just wasn't happening :frowning2:

16. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there MerBear

Although I'm from England & our testing situations are probably a little different. I'm pretty sure I can apply the same concept.

Extreme nervousness obviously comes with high-pressure situations. Try and turn that around, because it doesn't have to be a high-pressure situation, there's always the next time!

I too was nervous when approaching mine, but there's been some really good advice above me with breathing techniques, chilling out etc.

Have confidence, you KNOW you ARE a good driver and you CAN and WILL do it!

If you should mess up once, don't panic! Literally I thought I'd mucked up 3 times at the very start and I was about to say "Yeah I've already failed haven't I?" before I thought it was only gonna make things worse. It turned out my tester didn't see or recall any of them. I really think our minds get paranoid and play games with us in high-concentration situations.

Perhaps ask your dad to do a practice test with you. Tell him to act like an instructor would do and when it comes to it, hopefully the idea of being without your dad won't seem so bad.

Trust me, it really is not a big problem to miss out first time. Whether you pass first, second, third, eighth, thirteenth, one-hundredth - it doesn't matter! Once you've passed, which we've said above you will, remember? :slight_smile: Driving becomes very enjoyable and fun, soon enough you'll be asking yourself what you were so nervous about!

17. BucKeTz

You sound like someone that has anxiety problems. Well I may have some advice as I suffer from very similar problems. My solution has been to practice so much that I know I can't fail. I was required to do 50 hours of driving and I got over 80 for practice. By the time I got there, yes i was nervous, but I knew that I knew what I was doing. In the end I lost almost nothing (I think he was aching for a reason to deduct me...) and still have yet to be stopped by a cop or get into an accident.

18. RedDev84

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    High-five fellow pro driver! I probably wouldn't do so well over your side, I'd be driving on the wrong side of the road! That's right, you all drive on the wrong, we drive correct here in the sensible UK :grin:

I got 3 minors when I passed mine. I too think they were aching to deduct me. I had one for "Not slowing down enough when approaching a roundabout" - I can't even remember this, I mean, I was slowing down, but not enough.. My teacher didn't tell me anything about this?!

The second was "Not checking mirrors enough during 3-point turn", or turn-in-the-road as you may know it. This minor is very difficult to avoid for those lacking eyes in the back of their head and sides of their head. I literally had neck-ache by the end of my test yet still picked up a minor for it.

Can't remember the third one at all.

But since passing, no issues at all. I love driving though, if a courier was a £100k job a year, sign me up. Sadly it ain't :bang: