1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Go, Or Not To Go....

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by NotBrokenYet, Feb 26, 2014.

1. NotBrokenYet

So, my therapist knows that I'm questioning my gender, and has told me on multiple occasions that she'd look to see if she could find an LGBTQ+ support group type deal if I wanted to go. And I've been thinking about it a lot more recently, but I'm still undecided.
    The way I see it...:

Pros: Get to meet some new people, make new friends possibly, get some exposure to some people who're kinda going through the same thing as I am, maybe get some figuring out done and be more confident in who I am.

Cons: May trigger my anxiety problems, both in terms of being in a social setting and in terms of discussing my uncertainty around my gender. Will probably be a bit of a drive (the town I live in is sort of conservative and while not HOSTILE per se... just... definitely doesn't have much LGBTQ+ presence, so I'd have to drive into a nearby town or city that had a group). Concerned about fitting in, since I feel like a lot of support resources are for people who have it all figured out but need support with what they've discovered.

I'm really not sure if the anxiety and the hassle to get out there would make up for the potential benefits or not, and I'm kinda nervous about not really fitting in because things really haven't been all worked out yet. But I know I also have a tendency to think things are going to be worse than they will be....

Has anyone been to these kinds of support groups? Is it worth a shot or should I not bother? I'm debating in my head but kinda going nowhere with it..... any advice would be appreciated.

2. Sketch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think you should give it a try although i should be the last person giving that advice as i have yet to work up the nerve to find/join an LGBT group near me:lol:

I think it would be worth it to meet people face to face who are like you, and yeah some of them may be further down the self-acceptance line and that's ok, good for them:eusa_clap; but I wouldn't worry about not fitting in or being seen as a 'newbie'. If you have to drive then most likely they're would be people at all different stages as it's one of the few places to go.

If they're people there that have "figured it all out" ,chances are they would identify with issues you bring up as they may have gone through it themselves and made it out the other end. You'd hear their stories and potentially make new friends to boot. :thumbsup:

But what it all really boils down to is Fear... fear of making yourself vulnerable especially in a room with a bunch of people; (which is the reason I have only dreamed of going to one of these things as I have issues opening up.) That is until you realize that every other person in that room is just as concerned with talking about themselves just as you are.

All in all I think it couldn't hurt to go to just one meeting, although i'm not sure if you already made a decision as you posted this a couple of days ago, best of luck to you.

........now, if only I can take my own friggin' advice:bang::tantrum::bang: