1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question yo. For people who have been doing this a long time

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, Feb 27, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically, you know that ranty phase that you go through where you can complain for hours about how stupid and homophobic people are and stuff? How long does that last? Because I'm in that now and honestly, I just want to get through it so I can start making things change. And yeah, I know that in a way, I need to feel kind of bitter about the whole thing because it will motivate me to make a difference, but still, I want to spend my time changing, not complaining. Thoughts?

2. Indiana Juno

Let it roll over your back.

Become an observer. Absolve yourself from having a stake in things. Observe the homophobia like a detective - where it is said, by whom, and why. Don't judge. Assess why the homophobe says what they do.

Are they covering up for their own sexual insecurities? Are they ranting on their radio show to boost their ratings? Are they claiming homosexuality is a "sin" as a platform for their political career?

Start seeing it this way and I guarantee you'll gain a healthy amount of confidence about it. When you're angered by it, You give it power.

You make things change by being sure of yourself. Be firm in your position - but always be open to new points of view. You were born this way. Any problems someone has with you is just that - THEIR PROBLEM.

3. KindaSad

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    ^^^I like this answer. You should always assume that someone who's saying homophobic things is either confused/making a cry for help, and if they are you should kindly and calmly help them. If they're just ignorant and hateful, chances are arguing with them will just add fuel to the fire.

Courtesy is your best weapon.

4. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, I will try to do this.