1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need advice please

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Lezbianez, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Lezbianez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I came out as a lesbian to just a few people at my school and in my home. Well, I haven't found anyone that is genuinely accepting, some people are really homophobic to the point where they will bully me every day at school (I just started college last year). And it doesn't help that all my teachers are homophobic and they are not aware that I am a homosexual because I am a femme, but they bash gays 'religiously' saying we are nasty, we will burn in hell, we should die, and blah blah. I normally just try to stay silent because I understand that once these 'christians' are challenged in a debate about homosexuality, they think solely inside a little box and wont be open minded. It beginning to affect me and sometimes I even contemplate suicide, I am trying to hang in there until I get my Degree and can move to another country or city. By the way, I live in one of the most homophobic places on earth (Jamaica), so i'm pretty much in the closet a lot in fear of death. 8/10 of the students at my school accept me and yesterday my bestfriend bashed gay people right infront of me (so ofcourse I don't want to be friends with her after that cuz she too liked me at one point, i think she is in denial). Anyway can anyone tell me how I can possibly deal with homophobic teachers and people in general ?

2. alex3191

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    it might help that when you are around people who are being homophobic try your best to just think about something else or how you won't always be around these people and focus on your future. You will finish college one day and you won't have to deal with those people, when you are feeling down or suicidal write down all the things you want to do or place's you want to visit in the future and focus on that and make plans to work towards it. I know it can get overwhelming at times but try not to let these people have control over your happiness

3. orangevanilla

expose yourself to the world beyond Jamaica, love.
    Let's begin with Stephen Fry.
    He has a documentary, watchable on Youtube, that deals with homophobia. As a gay man, he doesn't see what's the hold up with gay marriage. He interviews people from around the world. It's apparent how ignorant they are, as you noted.

I really think it would benefit you to let go of the "gay-bashers". They are not relevant in your life just because they're present! Likewise, you need to stay in the present. Don't focus on their past mistakes, and don't worry about the future.

Suicide is a scary topic. I've been there. Trust me, I'll probably be there again. I think it's something we all go through, LGBT or not. The important part is finding someone-or something- to connect to. Vibe out, relax, and just escape for a little while.

Why not take a vacation? Texas is becoming more and more gay tolerant.

My point, while not very well-articulated, is that you are YOU. The people around you cannot hurt you if you don't let them. You can hurt yourself, but you shouldn't. You SHOULD help yourself instead. Expose yourself to literature, discussion, and world news. We're fighting in the U.S. Babe, it'll come to Jamaica sooner or later.

Wouldn't you love to see that? Until then, stay strong. We (your supporters) are alive...as you should stay.

4. pinklov3ly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Lezbianez!!

First off, I want to say that I am so sorry to hear about what you're going through. You are so strong and you don't even know it, because I cannot imagine being able to endure the homophobic views/comments. I know it is tough, but please hang in there! Do not give up or give the people who dislike us the satisfaction of you taking your life because it is not the answer to your problem. Unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do to change their views about homosexuality, and believe me it is a waste of time. I have tried so hard to get someone close to me to understand that being gay is natural, but it goes in one ear and out the other.

Are there any liberal colleges where you are from? If not, perhaps you can transfer schools and move to a move liberal country. I know the process may be tedious, but it will be worth it in the end. You shouldn't have to live in fear of being who you are because of other peoples' ignorance. If you ever want to talk, I am here for you (*hug*)

#4 pinklov3ly, Feb 28, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  5. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know a little of what you are going through with the homophobic comments. The area where I grew up was the same way. When my former girlfriend was forced to go through conversion therapy, the so called religious counselors told her that it was better for her to die before commiting a homosexual act, because a hetro soul will go to heaven, and a gay one will burn in hell forever. The comments were bad, but some people also got assaulted, and one almost got gang raped. (in school, not in conversion therapy) I heard comments from female classmates how if she had gotten raped, it would've been what she deserved, for being a dy--. Stiil though, it wasn't as bad for me and my gay friends as for an adult friend of mine, who is Muslim. She was forced into a marriage with a guy she didn't love, and if her family found out she was a lesbian, she would be honor killed, despite being in the U.S.

Like Pinklov3ly said, you're not going to change their closed little minds. Even though I couldn't change their minds, I could change who I associated with. It's hard, but try to ignore the haters. A former girlfriend of mine told me once about the haters, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

As hard as it was for me growing up, it just motivated me more to beat the haters. I told myself that I'd eventually somehow get out of that environment, and go someplace where people were more tolerant. There's plenty of people out there that feel the way you do, but if you're not around you'll never meet them.

I know the changes are coming glacier slow, but as someone once said in a song, "the times they are a changing." Even the Grand windbag Rush Limbaugh said that gay marriage will be legal in the US soon. Once that happens, perhaps attitudes will soften a little, when people discover that life will still go on, and it's not the end of the world. What happens in North America will eventually affect your country, or if not, you might be able to move, if you're still around to do it. Stay strong.

(*hug*)

Yesterday is not ours to recover, but tomorrow is ours to win or lose : LBJ