1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to be involved in the community as a minor?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by wontwalkblindly, Mar 4, 2014.

1. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really want to be involved but im only 16 and Im not out all that much. I'm planning on coming out to my parents soon but idk how they will take it so that might not make a difference as far as options go. I also live in a small, pretty conservative town... So that sucks. Got any ideas for me?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there an LGBT group at your school? Always best place to start at your age if available.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you talking specifically about your town's community or your town's LGBTQ community?
    As far as the general community goes:
    If there's a hospital near you, you could volunteer there. Hospital volunteer hours look great on resumés. If there are any farms around the outside of your town, you could ask to work there.

I volunteer with a number of community workout organizations that run year-round, but not a lot of cities have a consistently good one. If I didn't have this organization to volunteer with, I'd definitely volunteer at the hospital.
    I've also worked on farms around my city, and that's a blast. Farmers are usually really community-involved people, and can point you in the right direction or get you hooked up with the right folks (at least in my area).

There's no immediate way to get involved in the community. You have to start somewhere, even if it's small.
    I started with a community garden project, met people through that, and because I represented the project well, random people contacted me to work with other organizations.

Gotta start somewhere. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. wontwalkblindly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's no queer club at my school, no. I'd deff join if there was, but sadly there's not.

And I meant the LGBTQ community; sorry for the confusion.

5. You can volunteer at a hospital.