1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Justify getting married

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wardrobe93, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Wardrobe93

I am a strong believer in marriage, Probably because there are so many loving couples that can't have it.

I have a friend whos been with her boyfriend since they were about 15 (now 22) they live together and I know they really love each other. She's said to me that she doesnt see the point in getting married she's probably seen divorce in her time and I know she hates her biological Dad.

I just think that its such a great commitment of love for eachother and I can understand why people are scared of it as so many people have grown up with divorced parents (myself included) but I can't put into words why theses two should get married? There are people that get married for the wrong reasons and there are marriages that don't last but I just think its something to celebrate, i mean to me even just being able to say this is my Husband/Wife is just a great thing, a real bond. I guess the vows as well, in sickness and in health till death parts us, if you take your vows seriously they can build something so strong. Its bigger than a relationship, its a commitment, two becoming one I think.

Ok, so I've sort of began to answer my own question but what does everyone think? I don't want the justification to be 'because not everyone can' because I don't actually believe that is justifying it the meaning and value of marriage justifies why everyone should be able to, not the other way around.

Anyway would love to hear your thoughts :slight_smile: xx

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    " I can't put into words why theses two should get married?"

Good...why would you want to? I'm going to assume from the phrase "she's PROBABLY seen divorce in her time" that you don't actually know WHY she doesn't see the point...not that its any of your business but have you asked her why?

I'm not sure who said it originally, but there is a phrase I've heard batted around a lot that I think makes a lot of sense.

"Marriage is betting half your stuff you'll be together forever"

And you know what? That, for a lot of people, is completely accurate. I mean realistically what is the difference between married couples and non-married couples?

If your answer was anything other than 'religious recognition', 'tax benefits' or 'new legally recognized nicknames' then in essence, you are unfortunately wrong.

I, for example, don't know if I ever want to get married. I'll give 3 lists. Reasons For. Reasons Against. and a bonus list of 'it makes no difference'

Reasons For:
    -I think there are tax benefits
    -Probably need some form of legal commitment to adopt

Reasons Against:
    -My mums parents are divorced. My parents are divorced.
    -My mums new marriage is shit, just absolutely awful.
    -Most of my friends have divorced parents
    -I don't like big social events
    -I would feel weird asking for a prenup but couldn't marry without one
    -Pressure to have a 'christian' wedding ceremony from relatives and I'm an atheist
    -Ceremonies are expensive and I'm poor as hell
    -I'm not even sure I'm allowed

BONUS: Why it doesn't matter:
    -I don't need to be married to have a bond with my partner
    -I don't need to be married to make vows or follow them
    -I don't need to be married to show someone I love them
    -I don't need to be married to validate my relationship to others (or at least I shouldn't)

Anyway point is, marriage isn't for everyone.