1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How? When? Seriously!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BookDragon, Mar 5, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It occurs to me that everyone apart from me, must be some sort of wizard.

I cannot for the life of me understand how anybody finds ANYBODY EVER.

I'm in the unfortunate situation that in less than 2 months time, all my friends will be gone across the country. Meaning I now know basically nobody around here who I can really hang out with.

So how the heck do you find new people?

I mean, I don't work MUCH, but when I do, it's evenings usually. My only hobbies involve people from places I can't get to...I mean what do people even DO to make friends and how on earth do they find the time?!

It sucks especially hard because if you can't figure out how to make friends, how the heck do you find a partner? (I'm basically ruling out online dating for now...)

I can't stand cats but every day I come a little closer to understanding the appeal of being a 'cat lady'.

GRRR!

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

It sounds kind of weird, but some people post ads for just a friend. I would probably just be really kind to a co-worker or someone you see in a store you go to frequently. Why not join a new group or something? A lot of people make new friends in book clubs and stuff of the sort. You could take a class on something completely random. You'll probably have to step outside your comfort zone.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I don't have any coworkers to befriend, so that's out.

As for joining new groups, this is half the problem, there just isn't enough hours in the day! I mean at the moment I work 2 evenings a week, usually, so that's two gone, plus wednesday is therapy so thats out.

Which leaves 4. Sunday I have choir, but they are either much MUCH older than me, live far away from me or both. Thursdays I'm starting ninjutsu again, but that carries a lot of similar problems. So now I'm down to 2 evenings a week to do things in and at that point you just sort of want to relax, you know?

Not to mention I can't afford to do the things I do at the moment, let alone new things! :frowning2:

4. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

Well, it sounds like you have plenty of places to try to make friends. The ninjutsu place sounds like a great start. What's wrong with that?

5. HIL91025

Haha, I know exactly what you mean. Most of my best friends are away at uni. I go to my local university. During term time when they're all away, I get so bored, but luckily it forces me to work harder in my studies haha. The computer is my friend during term time (!)

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the last time I went, most of the people where nearly twice my age, with the exception of one guy I already knew, 3 who lives miles away and 1 who I don't really like....

You know, plus FEAR. But as you said, I can't really use that as an excuse ;D

Half the problem is that I have to rely on my feet. If I can't walk to it, I can't get to it most of the time, because I don't have my own transport and I can't afford public transport except for things I HAVE to use it for.

7. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

Yeah, I understand. Sometimes if you just put a thought out of your head and work on something else, it'll come to you. It's hard to do stuff without friends, I know, but sometimes you should pull through alone for a little while. I was terrible at making friends when I was younger, but that has always worked for me.