1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Job applications

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BookDragon, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm filling out a job application and I've hit a problem. From the form:

Are you currently suffering from any medical condition or illness?
    Further information (Please also include how this could affect your work)

Are you currently on medication or receiving any treatment?

Have you ever lost time from work as a result of illness?

See I don't know what to do here. Technically speaking if I'm not lying on the form, I should be putting down that I suffer from Depression & Anxiety and Gender Dysphoria since those have both been medically recognized.

I'm also going to therapy, so there is some treatment for you.

I've also been forced to take time off due to depression.

Now I know full well that if they judge my application based on those things they are breaking the law. Good old anti-discrimination agreements finally working for me. BUT I don't believe for one second that anyone is going to look at these things without judging me on it.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I put it down or do I lie about it?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1.) Can they legally ask you that in the UK?
    2.) If it is a disability that can affect your job performance like... you are a paraplegic trying to get a construction job, then they can.
    3.) If you are caught lying though no matter what a question is that is legally asked then you can most likely be terminated.

That's my views on that point. But my understanding is limited to US laws and the last two points.

Ask legal counsel and or your doctor.

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not an expert on the laws surrounding this, especially in the UK, but I'll offer my 'gut-feeling' advice.

I would be honest and list depression under medical conditions. You should definitely say that you're receiving therapy.
    Gender dysphoria is a different issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, or if I don't know how it affects you, but would this *directly* impact your job?

Gender dysphoria is definitely the one that they would judge you on (if they judge at all), but I don't think it's something that you should bring up unless it's *really* going to impact your job.

If the application clears and you proceed to an interview, you could take that opportunity to discuss it and better explain it in person. Explaining it in person is better than putting a broad term down on a piece of paper, and consequently being turned away before they have a chance to meet you (because you're pretty damn awesome, if I do say so myself).

That's just my two cents. That's how I would handle it.

If I may ask, what type of job are you applying for?

#3 TJ, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  4. Foxface

oh wow...yeah this is the UK so I don't think I can speak knowledgeably to that...that is frightening to me

The only possible thing I noticed is that it said 'medical'...could that mean they are only considering physical maladies?

but seriously don't take my word, I truly know nothing of the job system in the UK

5. anonym

anonym Guest

If it were me, I would not mention gender dysphoria just because I think it would scare people off. As we know, a lot of people don't understand what transgender, transsexual or gender dysphoria means. I think you should wait until interview stage to even bring that up. That way when they meet you they are judging you as the person that is sitting in front of them rather than a generic term that they don't really understand and are fearful of (the fear of the unknown I guess).

As for the medical condition or illness and absence from work, I think it could be risky to lie especially if they have access to your previous employers details and check up on your attendance. Again if it were me, I would make the decision based on how bad my anxiety and depression was and how likely I think it is that it could affect my ability to work. If I felt it was well managed and under control with my medication and therapy, I wouldn't exactly say I was 'suffering' with it. I know that technically that would be lying but I think as far as possible, I would emphasize that although I had time off in the past for depression or whatever, it is currently being treated and presents no problem with regards to my ability to work.

6. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Depression and anxiety aren't really mental illnesses per se. At least, according to my psychologist. He asks me "can someone have you committed to a psychiatric ward telling them you have depression and anxiety?" and the answer is obviously no.

7. Claudette

Claudette Guest

When I put in applications the other week, I was upfront and truthful about everything, in the gender slot I put "CHoose not to disclose" as for Medical conditions I put "Gender Dysphoria", for the meds I put "Hormones" and told them that "this may require me to miss work but nothing I can't let you know about ahead of time"
    4/5 of the places I applied to called me for an interview, all 4 of them offered me a job by the end of the interview. so be upfront ^^

8. Gen

Gen

Depression, Anxiety, and Dysphoria are without a doubt classified as mental illnesses within the psychiatric community; however, those questions are often seeking information on biological conditions and intellectual disorders, which are often what is meant by "medical disorder".

Therefore, I wouldn't really consider discounting those to be an act of lying.

Edit: Though I should add that dysphoria is now becoming accepted in many medical communities as a medical condition, so I suppose that could be one that might be best to be upfront about. Additionally, it could save you the issue of having to explain things to them further down the line.

9. katwat

Are you currently suffering from any medical condition or illness?
    Further information (Please also include how this could affect your work)

*** currently controlling depression with treatment (?and/or medication?)

Are you currently on medication or receiving any treatment?

Yes (no more details needed as you already have it above)

Have you ever lost time from work as a result of illness?

(can put something like "in past before treatment stabalized issues" or something like that)

It would all technically be honest while putting the most positive spin on it. Yes, you have a problem (depression), but you are controlling said problem with proper treatment. Yes, you did have to miss work due to the problem (in the past) but with current treatment is unlikely to interfere with work in future.

Good luck in your job hunt.