1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help with my OCD

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Zam, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's official in my mind.Since two weeks ago I have an OCD based on the fear of harming others.It came totaly out of the blue... I am a by the book case.... really
    -Never been violent
    -I think I am becoming crazy.
    -Try to reasure myself,keeps anxiety levels low for a few hours than I have anxiety attacks and the Obessive thoughts come back...
    -I fear my obsession verry much.

I am in spring break and I am afraid to talk to my parents because they think psychologist are just there to give you meds that make you a vegetable.

I know that the only way to fix this is to talk to a psychiatrist...Going to one through my parents is not doable.Last time I trusted them with me being gay it did not got verry well. I thought of seeing my school's psychiatrist but am I really afraid.
    Should I go?
    Anyone else suffered from OCD in general and has some advice until I go see a psychiatrist?

Article on the OCD I might have and tells how to fix it (altough my obsessive thoughts are not as horrible)... it scares me even more. International OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) Foundation - Expert Opinion: Violent Obsessions

#1 Zam, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  2. IsThisAName

Hi! I think you should definitely go see your school psychiatrist. As for the whole thing with your parents, I don't know your parents so I can't say for sure what you should do there, but I am sure that in order for you to be given medication, your parents will have to know at some point that you are being treated (if you're in the US, least--not sure about other countries). I have OCD myself and have struggled with it in the past. I coped with it without medication for some time but mine was mostly involved with checking things, so it was a little different. I'm now on medication for anxiety and OCD and I feel wonderful and like I have peace of mind now. It's great and if you have any opportunity to get help, then I say take it! Best of luck, hugs :slight_smile:

3. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice.
    What do the drugs do? Make you relax for once? And to they affect your performance in school?

4. IsThisAName

It varies from medication to medication and different people can have different experiences from what I understand (I'm a psychology major so I'm a bit of a nerd with this stuff :slight_smile:). But overall, when medication is given for OCD the goal is to calm a lot of the anxiety that the person is having due to the OCD. I was on medication a few years ago before deciding to come off of it, and I only just recently got back on medication 3 weeks ago and I already feel as if my mind has calmed down. I don't have constant racing thoughts as I used to. Sure I have bad moments here and there, but for the most part I am beginning to feel like my mind is becoming a more peaceful place and it's great to experience that for once!

As for whether they affect your performance in school, I'm not totally sure. My doctor actually asked me today whether the meds were helping me focus more in school and I said no. I've felt calmer and less anxious so I suppose that could improve my school performance, but it's not something I've thought about too much.

Overall, most meds for things like this take about 6 weeks until you see the full effect that it has on you. So if you do begin to take medication, ask your psychiatrist plenty of questions and understand that it won't be a sudden quick fix--sometimes it takes time to find the right medication that works for you and the right dosage. But once you find something that works for you and give it time to work, I know you'll start feeling better! :slight_smile: