1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I'm bigoted towards religion is that normal ?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Nothingness, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Nothingness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I live in a small town and it's very religious and very right winged in politics and I aways grow up learning that being gay was something to be ashamed of. When I was in high school I got bullied a lot and people would tell me that god doesn't love fags or I'm sick shit like that. Now I don't trust anyone who's even remotely religious even if they seem okay at first ones I find out they are religious I grow hostile even when I try not to. My sister was sexual assaulted a few months ago and she met this couple and grow very close to them which is good she's trusting people again. But a day or two before she wanted us to meet them then she said he ran a church and suddenly I didn't want to meet him nor have my sister around him when Is terrible. I know it's ignorant but I can't stand being around them. At the second week of school all the club kinda of a recurring frenzy and there was a breakfast thing so me and my friend went it was on campus but still food. Anyways I got my food and before i could leave they tried to recruit me for a religious program, one of those god on campus things. Not only did I leave but I gave my friend my food and was pissed for the whole day then I felt bad because they didn't do anything to me it's just I've only seen religious as a reason to judge other or justify the hatred of others. I know it so backwards to be gay and be bigoted but I don't have any idea on how to fix it or if I even want to I mean it's kept me safe so far maybe it's not a bad thing but I don't know. Any thoughts :icon_sad:

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religious types have left a bad taste in your mouth; it is normal to be biased against it.

However, that doesn't make it right. What you dislike are dicks who use their religion in furtherance of dickery. When practiced as they should be, religious beliefs are a way for people to come together and love each other, not ostracize and say "you're going to hell." The ones who do that are brainless societal wounds.

Should you treat religious people with caution? Yes, because hatred is a widespread plague. But that doesn't mean the concept itself should be denounced or that people should be written off without more cause than showing that they believe in a god of some sort.

#2 Argentwing, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  3. GayDadStr8Marig

As a teen, having become aware of being myself gay, I stopped going to church completely. This was a huge change for me, having grown up with my dad a deacon in our baptist church and we were there seemed like anytime the doors were unlocked. I didn't trust anyone there due to the homophobia and fire-and-brimstone sermons about sin and how homosexuals were a plague on humanity.

It wasn't until years later after getting married that I started to going to church; my wife is Catholic so when our first child was on the way, I began the process of converting to Catholicism. During that process I learned the catholic teachings on homosexuality. While I do not agree with their conclusions, the fact that we are accepted as part of God's creation and that we are gay as part of the way God created us, played a huge role in my being able to continue on and become a Catholic.

My advice would be to not throw out all religious types. Your reaction to religion is a mirror of the rejection you experienced from them. The reaction is normal and understandable. But in order to heal yourself you need to learn how to let go of the hurt that was inflicted on you; it is not an easy thing to do, and nearly 30 years later I still struggle with it and some days just want to throw my hands up and quit organized religion -- but I don't, because I realize that faith is so much bigger than any individual or group of individuals that choose to practice religion believe in ignorance and intolerance.

4. King

This is completely understandable, considering religion encourages hatred towards sexuality then homosexuality surely should cast hatred on religion.

What you should avoid doing is discriminating religious people, often they are brainwashed into their beliefs and values. whilst you can criticise is religion as a concept and people who use it as an excuse to be offensive and bigoted you shouldn't assume all religious people are inherently homophobic, that would be stereotyping, which as a gay person I assume you would dislike.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, there are some ultra conservative Churches that preach a message of intolerance and hate that is contrary to all of the fundamental teachings of the faith they are supposed to represent. It's usually the Church that is at fault, rather than the religion.

Please try to remain open minded as not all Churches or people of faith are right wing bigots. Some people live out their faith in exactly the right way - with quiet consideration and concern for other people, but they don't get the attention. The siren voices of hell fire and damnation will always get more publicity as their views and opinions are so strange.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can relate to this.. a lot. I've had my bad experiences with religion. It sucks that there are those out there that make Christianity look bad.

There was a long time where I did not want anything to do with religion. I wanted to stay as far out of it as I possibly could. This all changed when some religious protesters came on campus and I joined a counter protest.

I was at first hanging out with the atheists. Then I saw somebody that I recognized from my residence hall. So, I went over and say hi. I started to talk to her, and I found out that we were on the same side (hating the religious bigot protesters) but I was atheist, and she was Christian. This was really the beginning of the healing process for me. She talked with me about a lot of things, many of those relating to my sexuality and gender identity. We even talked about how I hated religion (which I have overcome now).

It's easy to forget that there are Christians out there that are open and affirming when all you are exposed to is the extreme right wing religious people. As hard as it is, just try to remember that not all Christians are like the ones that you are mostly exposed to. That's easier said than done though, I still have my moments where I slip up. I'm ok with that though, because I know that I am trying to change my thought process. I know that I will always have my guard up around religions people that I do not know well though.

7. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Being bullied all through school because of your orientation seems to have slanted you against religious people, and that's kind of normal. Just remember that not all religious people are complete and total asses. One of my friends at school is very religious, but she's also very supportive of gay rights and lgbt+ people in general. The most visible members of any group are rarely the best ambassadors. Try to differentiate between the nice religious people and the assholes, and don't give an undeserved reputation to the nice guys.