1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heart and Driving Problem.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Amazo, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    As the Title says, I started driving with my dad as he is learning me to drive, but every time I hear the word Drive or Car.... and when I get in the car I get heart palpitations, anyone know why ? Its like the end of the World is coming every time I go driving, to be honest I do have some driving problems... I tend to straddle the line and take sharp corners... not to mention I am terrified about roundabouts :frowning2: and if I told my Dad... he keeps saying what the heck... you're not a woman or... fine you don't wanna drive then don't... its just he gets angry quick and he wants me to take only 12 hours of lessons... do you think I could pass them :/ as he is trying hard for me not to spend my money on the lessons as it costs me half a grand just to do the driving lessons and test... if you catch my drift.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if this is a phobia or what? You might want to speak to someone about that. Driving is scary at first sure, but having physical reactions to driving, might want to ask about that.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to grammar-nazi you, but... teaching me to drive. I had a hard time understanding what you meant at first. No hard feelings? :slight_smile:

Your dad sounds like a harsh teacher though. Driving for the first time is stressful enough; it's harder still with somebody belittling and scolding you while doing it.

The key to being comfortable while driving, other than getting the direct maneuvering skills down, is finding the right relaxation level. Of course a high level of alertness is needed so you can react to situations in a timely manner. But if you are so nervous that you get heart palpitations, your performance will suffer and you do yourself no favors. You'll eventually get to where driving is natural, almost automatic. You'll know what to do without having to think about it.

4. Amazo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Thx for the help guys, I will check it out but not sure... Its like I am lost... as I dont want my dad to get mad at me either :/

5. SRS1120

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    do you have someone else that could take you out driving? Sometimes a dad isn't the right person, my dad was super critical and made me really nervous & I only went out driving with him a few times. An older cousin and some family friends took me out for the rest of the time until I got my license. (of course this would depend on the rules where you live)