1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My girlfriend's beliefs

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by trumpetnerd, Mar 8, 2014.

1. trumpetnerd

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My girlfriend and I have been dating for about a year, and we don't really fight much other than the occasional normal argument or two. But we had our first huge fight last night, and it was over religion. She's an open theist, non-bigoted, and knows I'm bisexual and that I'm a very strong atheist. I hate religion because I was forced into it by my parents and actually am being made to be confirmed in about 3 weeks, but I've tried to avoid the subject with her. Last night, though, it came up, and we had a huge fight because we both felt the other was treating our beliefs with contempt. Then, the subject of kids came up, and she felt that by me not having the kids go to church, I was indoctrinating them into atheism, and I felt the same way about having them go to church. We talked tonight and have moved out of the phase of actually fighting, but it looks for sure that this is going to be a wall between us in the future. How can we reconcile our beliefs? I really do love this girl and she loves me, but I'm afraid this is going to cause an even bigger fight and/or breakup in the future, and losing her would crush me. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much guys.

2. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you guys arent wrong yknow? why dont u other religions? i know u wont believe me but islam has a line that says lgbtq arent wrong :slight_smile: u are not wrong bc this is who u are :slight_smile:

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The key is communication. You have to be able to talk this out, and not have things become heated. When conversations become heated, not much is accomplished since both parties are mad.

Would you be ok with your kids going to church at all? A person's faith is an important part of who they are, so your children should learn about both of your viewpoints. You could talk to the children about atheism, and she could talk to the children about Christianity. You could even talk about other religions, because it is important for there to be understanding about others' religions beliefs.

Under this, each person's beliefs would be respected, and then the children can choose what path they want to take.