1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom keeps dragging me to church

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by musicalshyguy, Mar 9, 2014.

1. musicalshyguy

Every Sunday, my mom wakes me up at 6:30 AM to go to 8:30 mass. I am not an atheist, but I just don't feel like being woken up early every weekend to sit through an hour of mass. It's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't really listen to the priest and I start to daydream. I'm 17 and I know my mom can legally do this, but I'm just tired of it. Every time I try to talk to her about not wanting to go anymore, she gets pissed at me. I can't take it anymore. What should I do?? :***: :help: :bang:

2. justjade

You know, I went through the same thing. In fact, when I was in college, my dad would actually would come to my dorm on Sunday mornings and take me to church. What I did was tell him I couldn't make it anymore because I had to work really late on Saturdays, which I did most of the time. Of course, I had to work nights because I had class during the day. I say, just keep trying. She can't keep doing it forever. I think it needs to be made clear that you don't want to go. Maybe see if you can stay at a friend's house on Saturday night once in a while if that doesn't work. Just find some way to be out of the house on Saturday night. This will be easier if you have your driver's license, but if not, it's going to be harder. I wish you the best of luck.

3. musicalshyguy

Thank you. I managed to avoid it today, because I got a new hairstyle a few weeks ago and this morning I had to make time to gel my hair and she got pissed off and left.

4. justjade

Nice. :thumbsup:

That makes me so proud.

5. musicalshyguy

Haha thanks. But when she gets home I'm pretty sure my laptop will be taken away.

6. justjade

Well, that sucks. :confused:

Still, though, that hair style thing, I wish I would have thought of that. That's so simple yet so smart!

Oh, also, if you do decide to try the thing where you stay with a friend on Saturday night, I suggest it be somewhere kind of far away, so your mom will get quickly aggravated with having to wake up so early and drive so far just to drag you to church. Being passive-aggressive is kind of a dick move, but if it gets your point across, I guess that's what matters.

By the way, one time, my dad took my laptop away (I was 20, I think), and I got mad at him for it. So I went into his room while he was gone to look for it. It was under his bed, so I just took it back. He never even noticed. Not sure if that will work for dealing with your mom, but it might. My dad's not really anal about stuff though.

---------- Post added 9th Mar 2014 at 10:03 AM ----------

In fact, I think he forgot he took my laptop.

7. lil legs

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I gotta say, I love how you avoided church this morning, why not just wake up really really late and however many times your mum tells you to get out of bed just fall asleep or something, sounds like she doesn't want to be late for church so she's not going to drag you there in your pj's or whatever you wear in bed

8. justjade

That's a good idea, too. Yeah, maybe if this keeps happening, she'll start leaving you alone.

9. musicalshyguy

She's extremely strict. She doesn't hit me or anything, I promise. But she yells a lot.

---------- Post added 9th Mar 2014 at 09:14 AM ----------

And you can check out my hairstyle picture I just uploaded on my profile once it gets moderated :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. justjade

Yep, just saw your hairstyle. I like it. :thumbsup:

11. musicalshyguy

12. justjade

I wish I could stand to keep my hair longer, but it's just so thick.

13. musicalshyguy

My hair is really thick

14. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I think if you believe in God, you should be doing something about that belief. It's one thing to not want to go to church because you're an atheist, another thing to believe but not care enough to take religion seriously.

Now, I'm not saying all Christians should go to church, because there's other ways to honour your beliefs. But I think it's good for everyone to take time on a regular basis to think about their beliefs and whether they're living up to them. If you believe and don't want to go to church, what are you willing to do instead?

15. willfultrans

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't like going to church either, at least not the one I am dragged to almost everyweek, however I've found that falling back asleep, acting sickish on Saturdays and convincing one of my parents to stay up later on Saturday normally either gets me out of it or shaves of an hour our of three.

16. lameo

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am from a small town, and many of my friends faced that same issue you are. Most of them just kept doing it to please their parents, but you might want to come clean if it is bothering you this bad.

17. Meagan

Dude, I'm in the same boat. I go to the church of christ in this town in the bible belt, so I've left services bawling before feeling like I was going to hell. If your still Christian by the time your old enough to leave home (I personally didn't make it that far... but good luck to you if it makes you happy) maybe find a new church, or I've been told that you dont REALLY even need to go to church. Just hang in there until then, she only does this in fear of you going to hell.

18. WhiteShadows

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some churches have masses later in the day. Perhaps you could discuss this with your mom.

19. Emberblaze

Wow, this is exactly me, well, at least the part about not wanting to wake up to go.

Anyway, every time my mom says "we're going to church in the morning" I just say "have fun". And then she usually just doesn't get up in the morning to go. I mean, I wish she WOULD honestly because if she wants to go I don't want her to not go just because I'm not going.

I mean, I'm not atheist or anything either, I'm a firm believer in God. But, I'm NOT as attached to the Bible as I am to God. I don't like it when people use the Bible as a guide to living, because I really don't believe it is. People are always like "well, the Bible say this, this, that" but then it also says a 1000 other things that most people are over looking anyway.

So, yeah... That stuff...

20. Gen

Gen

I would have a clear conversation with her.

You are no longer an easily influenced child. Although teenagers are not legally or financially independent in most cases, they are very independent minded. The realization that I had to make clear to my mother when I was younger was that dragging me to church wasn't going to force me to take anything from the experience. Especially with something as personal as spirituality, beliefs cannot be forced on anyone.

Explain to her that she has showed her standpoint in regards to religion throughout the years of your childhood by taking you to church in those times. At this point, it is simply going to come down to how your personal beliefs and understandings evolve. That will be something that you will have to come to terms with on your own. Taking away your freedom in this regard will only cause you to resent these experiences and, therefore, resent her beliefs.