1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow Pin on Backpack

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by zzhere, Mar 9, 2014.

1. zzhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At my university the QSA gives out fairly large "gay pride" rainbow buttons. A significant enough amount of people wear these buttons on their backpack, to the point where I spot them occasionally on one of the campuses.

I thought about wearing one, but I'm a very private person and they are a bit too large for me. When I put one on my backpack I felt like all eyes would be on the button. However, I'm interested in wearing one because I feel that maybe it would help me meet someone? I'm not exactly easily identifiable as gay, so perhaps someone would see the button and be interested in approaching me? Also, it could help make things clear for my friends who still don't know I'm gay, just because it hasn't really come up, who continue to say things that imply me being straight.

Anyway, I bought a smaller pin, a discreet rainbow ribbon that I can pin to my backpack in the place of the larger button. I'm still really hesitant about wearing it, since i'm very private and i feel like it's advertising a potentially private piece of info. At the same time, it might help me be a little less ashamed of my sexuality, and might lead to me meeting someone.

Would you guys wear a pin on your backpack? Or do you think it's too obnoxious/attention-seeking?

2. Csp1993

Csp1993 Guest

Personally, if I had one I would definitely wear it. It would make things a little easier for me. I have a preference of girls, but the only people that approach me are guys. I'm not open to anyone around school, so it would help me out. I can definitely understand that it feels like you're showing off a private thing about yourself, but maybe that's not a bad thing. This could be an easy outlet to start being out!

3. BelleFromHell

I'd wear one. I'd also wear one of those AWESOME rainbow silicone bracelets, if I could find one. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. SwimScotty

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I probably wouldn't do a backpack pin, but I'm probably going to buy either a bracelet/anklet or a choker for the start of next school year. That way it's out there and potential SO's can find me, but it's also discreet enough that people can not notice/choose to pass off as something else if they want to.

I totally understand about putting it out there, though. It's why I haven't come out to everyone yet. I just feel like there are some things that some people don't need to know, you know? But it felt good to tell my friends, and I think it'll be good to get it out in the open.

5. Hiems

No I don't think it's obnoxious. It sounds like a practical way to meet other LGBT people and allies. It's usually difficult to tell whether or not a person is LGBT, so using this pin would be a good indicator.

If you wear the pin and your friend inquires you about it, then that is a scenario for you to casually come out to your friend.

6. Claudette

Claudette Guest

The closest "alliance" near me is in Baltimore, which is kinda far. So instead I wear a rainbow ring, and a transgendered necklace, because of work uniform policies, the necklace is usually hidden, but my ring really doesn't draw much attention, I wish it did though

7. Beetle

I don't have a pin but I have a cool leather and thread rainbow bracelet. Haven't met any other LGBT people with it, but I've only had it for a week and it's kinda hidden most of the time under my jacket, haha.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have the LGBT safe zone sticker emblazoned on my classroom door.

9. Tiny Catastrophe

I wear a rainbow pin on my work lanyard (we all have a bunch of pins on them) and people stillllll don't grasp the concept that I'm gay so its not as obvious as you think it will be (in response to you thinking people will stare or something). I'd say go for it.

10. Silver Sparrow

I have a little ribbon pin from Day of Silence last year on my backpack (we, the GSA, handed them out). A bunch of students have them at my school.

11. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have a rainbow bracelet that my stepbrother gave me as a gift. i don't wear it anymore though.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's okay to be proud of your sexuality. It simply shows that you aren't ashamed of it and aren't afraid to admit it, and that's a very good thing.

I wear a rainbow bracelet to school everyday. Not many people have noticed though.

13. KWDBM

I have a small keychain with rainbow links and two female symbols, that I got at Pride. I don't really have a keychain so it hangs on my purse, which is as close as I get to a backpack these days. I think that if you are secure enough in yourself to wear those things, good for you!

14. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it was applicable to me, I'd definitely wear one. Like you said, you might meet someone that way. I say go for it!

15. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually wear a small one on my backpack. At the beginning I felt little anxious that everybody will just stare at it/me but it's not the case. To tell you the truth, I don't think people notice it much. Maybe it's because I live in the middle of nowhere area where probably many people don't know the meaning yet, I don't know... To answer your question, it's completely fine and if you want to wear gay pride button, just go for it. :thumbsup:

16. setnyx

go for it. people other than LGBT wear rainbows but it may prompt a conversation, which is good. i wear a necklace with a pentacle and rainbow bead on both sides of it. i get knowing looks alot. sometimes nasty ones. i also had a guy (darn it ) say he had some beads like that on his backpack. good luck.

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd want to have one of those. ^^ The rainbow bracelet I have now I made myself, and it's missing orange. ><

18. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally want to have one when I'll go to college (next august). What I seem to understand is that people who aren't LGBT don't tend to notice it much, but LGBT people will usually notice and may possibly aboard you.

19. zzhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the responses everyone, maybe I'll get the courage to wear one. It's probably true that most people don't notice or care, especially at a huge state school that I go to, so it's more about my own insecurities i guess.

20. Envira

Personally, I would wear the pin, because there isn't much of a downside to wearing one. It'll just make you more open, and I bet that some of the people who use the pins are allies too. Be proud.