1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm lost

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by jaywhiskey, Mar 10, 2014.

1. jaywhiskey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Let me start out with some general details of my life. I grew up in a good family with good parents. However when I was only a few years old my father became very ill and was in and out of the hospital for the rest of my life. Somehow he managed to pull through a "terminally ill" diagnosis and has been alive for almost two decades. The surgeries he went through left him semi paralyzed and prone to injury.

Right now I'm in my mid-twenties, doing a job I always wanted and worked very hard to get. I think during my years between high school and college I filled my free time with as much work as possible so I did not have to come to the realization I was gay.
    Over the past 5 or so years, I have tried to not be gay (for a lack of better terms) and have been dating women to seem normal. Obviously the lack of emotions and the lack of desire for women always kept me running from the relationships.

Back to my job. I work in a career field that does not welcome gays with open arms. I don't want to be "that guy" in the workplace and I always feel like I have to live two lives. I act all alpha male at work but in reality that is absolutely not me. Not me one bit.
    Within the past few months I decided that I was sick of not having someone to talk to about the real me and signed up for some dating sites. I found someone perfect for me and understood me. We worked in similar career paths and understood each other. We texted at all hours of the day/night and had a lot of similar interests.

Fast forward to this week. I noticed the text messages seemed to decrease in personality and frequency. I had the sense something was up and I asked. We'd be better friends than a couple is the response I got.

Just chalk it up to another failure. I just want to be happy. I opened up to someone for the first time and they crushed me. That's all. I've never been happy and I've never been depressed. I don't even consider myself depressed now. I'm sad and just down. I even tried to cry. I honestly think the last time I let out any real emotion was when I was kid. I've just learned how to deal with the pain and constant bumps in life by suppressing them I'm afraid. I'm exhausted with trying to find someone who understands me only to have them not feel the same.

I just feel so exhausted from hiding, trying to work, trying to find someone, trying to take care of my parents and still have a life for myself.

I posted a similar post on another website and only got one private message from someone who actually wanted to help me. He talked to me for over an hour on Skype and helped me realize some things about myself and what I needed to do. I'm just curious about hearing from other folks as well.

Thanks for hearing me out.

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, that's rough... I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. :/ I suppress my feelings too, and that's not healthy. I usually feel awful and numb when I do. Did you ask that guy why he changed his mind?

I don't think you should hide who you are. But I don't think you should come out either, since it might not be the best decision in your work setting. Try relaxing and letting things unfold like they should. Also, what dating site are you using?

3. jaywhiskey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Numb actually describes my feelings most days. It's hard to continue feeling numb and hide everyday of every minute.

We were so into each other last night and then the bombshell of "I think we would be better as friends" today. He said I was a great guy, great personality but wasn't romantically attracted to me. Not sure what to think about that.

I'll preface the next paragraph with a little about what I'm going to talk about. In my career, I am constantly hypervigilant of perceived threats. I have to be otherwise I risk getting myself physically harmed or killed. With hypervigilance comes the wave of immediate suspicion and perceived threat of everyone who is not a close friend or co-worker. In layman's terms you build a wall of security around yourself and shield yourself from possibly being harmed. It's a vicious circle; the height of it usually which lasts the first day or two on your days off.

I think the part that hurts the most is he was the first person I fully let my guard down and expressed myself to. I didn't have to hide and I could be myself. I allowed someone in and they caused me the harm which I usual vet out by being hypervigilant. I guess I've never felt this kind of sadness before and don't know how to deal with it.

On the topic of dating sites, I've been using OKC and ###.

#3 jaywhiskey, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So you're hypervigilant because you're afraid of getting harmed? Do you know for certain someone will harm you, or is it related to PTSD?

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how it feels to be let down. But I swear it gets better. I suffered from panic disorder and OCD for 7 straight years and depression for 4 of those years. The best way to recover is talking to someone. So I'm glad you told me.

5. Brave Prince

Hello, and bravo for trying to work through your emotions.

Group communications is a great, and highly modern, way to work through your emotions, especially if you are not familiar with your own subconscious. So stay on this path. Groups always know more than individuals.

However, most things I've read say you need to have a good understanding of yourself in order to keep your unconscious from putting you through the wringer when your expectations of yourself or others fail you.

It sounds like your upbringing and your career are success oriented. The history you describe sounds like you are capable of hiding from yourself as well. Your twenties are the perfect time to learn who you are on a conscious level. Until you know that, you might get whiplash from those fresh love hormones. Besides, you owe it to whoever you will love to be grounded in self esteem and strong enough to face rejection.

Watch May Jeg's "Why 30 is not the new 20" on TED. Also, Google the concept of projections. You need to know how those work so you'll see it better the next time it happens. I have kids your age. They say that learning to have conscious emotions is one of the greatest lessons they have received.

Take care of yourself, and when you feel pain, keep running towards the lesson.
    BPC

6. jaywhiskey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much for your reply, Brave Prince.

An update:

The two weeks following my original post I stopped and looked at my life and the goals I wish to obtain. I decided I was sick of living the way I was and constantly hiding from myself. I setup a 4 week calendar even to decide if I want to come out. I'm currently on week #3. Basically the idea is if I hit week #4 and I still want to come out, I'm going to.

I decided I will do it in stages. First in my personal life and then slowly in my professional life. I'm not one to air my "dirty laundry" at work so I'm not going to go around announcing it. It's not my goal to seek attention and I never want to seek attention for something like this. I've just decided that if someone finds out, I'll deal with it and not deny it.

In my personal life, I've started dating again and been meeting people. It's been a big help to my own mental health and I am no longer down like I was.

7. Hey,here if you need to chat.Write on my wall anytime and maybe we can PM each other at some stage(Up to you).