1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with some issues

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Satoru, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Satoru

Hello, I haven't posted here in a while and I didn't want to resort to complaining here about my problems, but I don't know what else to do.

I am currently a college drop out from last semester where I lost my motivation for school and my Social Anxiety forced my to stay shut in my room for all the semester. I moved back to my hometown and am currently staying with my parents. Because of my SA, I looked for a job that would not deal with people as much and found a job at Wal-Mart stocking groceries overnight. I realized after a few weeks that it was a huge mistake as I am treated very poorly and everyone ridicules me and tells me how slow I am. I often have to ask people to help me lift things much to their anger. I get yelled at everyday for my workpace and feel horrible most of the time.

I practically force myself to be happy and bottle everything up hoping that one day everything will change. I just go home and sit in my room everyday because I am tired and feel safe. This computer I have is my escape from how horrible my life has been derailed ever since I got out of high school.

My questioning over my sexuality has also given me problems and has feed into my SA. I tried counseling when I was at the University, but I have problems opening up.

My work is going to move me to overnight cashering which I think would be better than heavy lifting if it were not for the fact that I have SA issues with visible symptoms.

Part of me wants to go back to school, but the other part knows it is just going to play out the same as the last time I went.

I often think about suicide, but I know that I am too tethered here to do it. Although, it may not stay that way for long.

I don't make any effort to change or seek help which I know is all my fault for not doing. Maybe I am lazy, maybe I am afraid. I feel that this is all karma upon me for the things I have done.

2. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, my story sounds pretty similar to yours in some respects. I too am a college dropout who worked at a retail job right afterwards. I have some social anxiety(and just anxiety/high-strung) as well. You don't say how old you are, but I'd imagine you're younger than me(I'll be 27 in a month). Immediately after college, I was a mess. Not out, depressed, and doing an astonishing amount of illicit drugs. I had "friends" but only one or two of them were truly my friends the others were just fellow druggies and weren't all that cool with it when I finally came out. I was working a minimum wage cashier job in retail.

So that's where I was. Pretty shitty, right? I'm telling you this because that was me just 3 years ago. But since then I've gotten an awesome job in IT, found a partner who is just an all around great human being, gotten sober, and I'm taking some classes online. I'm not bragging, I'm just telling you to hold on because things do get better. I take still have to take an anti-anxiety med, but even with bad anxiety you can still function you just got to force yourself to remember that the negative thoughts are the anxiety talking. Please don't hurt yourself, life isn't always what we've planned but great things can happen from the supposed "wrong turns". Hang in there.

3. Nick07

I think you could try to go back to school. It can be different now, because you know the other alternative. Therapy or a psychiatrist could be good too.
    Because you probably already feel comfortable being depressed. It's familiar.
    Cashier is not an easy occupation either and you can be bullied just as easily as in your current position.
    Try the school again. And a therapy. It's usual to not be comfortable to open up, that's why there is the therapist. To help you and guide you.

4. superchicken

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey satoru,

i have an idea of what you are going through. you need an outlet, someone to chat with about how your day was. let things calm down, and when things become comfortable at work, then maybe take one class that is not too demanding. if you need someone to talk to, friend request me and pm me. i'm not as chatty as i used to be, but i'll be happy to talk to you.

5. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha Satoru

Based on my own experience, going to the doctor and getting on some anti-anxiety meds was the best first step; it helped me at work, it helped me deal with some decisions I needed to make and it helped me with my relationships with friends.

Just take this one first step without burdening yourself with all of the other issues. They will fall into place over time.

Let us know how we can best support you in this.

Milan

6. Satoru

Thank you for all the encouraging words, they really mean a lot.

@SongshiQuan: I am definitely younger than you by a little bit. As you relate to me, I in turn relate to your story.Thankfully, I have stayed away from drugs and the like. I only have one friend who I talk with every once in a while.
    Don't worry I don't take it as bragging, rather I am glad that your life got better. I actually think that talking anti-anxiety meds would help me, if not in helping with my severe physical symptoms. Do you know how I can acquire them?
    The hardest part seems to be controlling the irrational thoughts which sometimes I have control over, but other times they come back full-force. Thank you, I hope to hang in there too. There are too many things I want to do and to accomplish and I feel that I haven't touched the potential of what I can do.

@Nick07: I have been thinking of going back to school again in the fall. I am worried that with my SA, lack of motivation, and other problems, it will turn out the same as it did last fall. I have considered trying psychiatry again, but I don't know of any in my area and I don't know if I can try it again. I will work the Cashier during the night so it will not be so intense as the day. I do understand that with a Cashier job, I can be bullied just the same, but I think I can do it better than the physically rigorous position I am in now. I have never been a physically-able person.

@Superchicken: Hello. I think you are right. I probably need someone to complain to or chat about my day with. The only difficulty is finding the right person. I could definitely try taking a class to try and test out the waters again. The only problem is which one... thank you for the offer to be available to talk to, I will defiantly keep it in mind.

@Milan: Hello. I agree that going to the doctor and getting anti-anxiety meds would help me greatly as a first step. It would definitely at least help with the physical symptoms that I often stress over.
    I would have to agree with taking small steps at a time and letting the other parts fall in place.
    Do you know the best way of acquiring anti-anxiety meds from a doctor? I might start as a Cashier next week and I hope that I can try to get them by then. Also, my parents can see into my most of my bank accounts expect for one, but they may be suspicious if I keep funneling my money into my 'online credit-card' savings account.

7. SongshiQuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Satoru,
    As far as meds go have you ever talked with a psychiatrist?

8. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha, Satoru

Do you have a regular physician? You should talk to him about anti-anxiety meds. He may wish to refer you to a psychiatrist. Do you have health insurance, or can you sign up for it at work? Your insurance should cover at least part of the cost of the physician, psychiatrist and the medications.

The medications that are out today are truly excellent. I think you will notice a dramatic improvement, but I should also advise you that they take a while to be fully effective. Although you will notice some immediate improvement, it might take as long as two weeks for them to completely kick in.

If you are worried about paying for the medications, some drug companies have special rates for those who can't afford them. Talk to the doctor's office staff about how to sign up for these programs.

The sooner you see your doctor, the sooner you can start feeling better, so I suggest you act on this today.

Good luck and stay in touch with us.

Milan

9. Satoru

@Song: No, I haven't talked with a psychiatrist before I think. I talked to some people at a health department before through something at the university I was at, though I don't know if they were psychiatrists.

@Milan: I don't think that I have a regular physician, though I think I actually do maybe. I haven't seen one in a very long time. I just asked my parents using my work as a excuse and they said that I don't have one. My mom has been pushing me to take shots for STD's (which is VERY suspicious about her reasons) and I need a regular physician for that. Using that as cover, I am going to talk to him about the meds also. My parents have insurance through Blue Cross and Blue Shield. I don't really want to take the shots, but I guess it works as cover? She is going to call for me for times since I work during the night.
    I wondered if that was the case. I am willing to start taking them even if it takes a while.
    I will definitely talk to them about those programs, I personally don't have very much money and I don't really want my parents to figure out about all of this.
    Though I wonder if using their insurance they will find out...
    Thank you for the luck.

To add: I also have scars on both of my upper arms from when I was a teenager so I don't know how to really cover those up for the shots... My parents like to spill things to other people so I don't want them to know about that or the meds or else it might turn out badly.

#9 Satoru, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  10. MassiveDynamic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i was going to suggest seeing a psychiatrist also.. ive had social anxiety for years. People use to always consider me anti social.. which i was but i couldnt help it. I just didnt like being around people.. i freaked out. Medication has helped tremendously. Prozac or Lexapro or anti type of SSRI plus some xanax or adivan for panic attacks really helped me a lot. Im sorry that you feel you cant be honest with your parents and hope that they would get you the help you need. Good luck.

11. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha Satoru

I am really happy to hear you are going to see an M.D.

When you are there, talk to the medical billing staff about the insurance coverage and specifically ask about the protection of your confidentiality when the claims are processed through your parents' coverage. It's a good question to ask so you don't have any surprises down the road.

As for the injections, I'm not sure what your mother had in mind, but make sure YOU ask the M.D. whether he thinks these are necessary and appropriate when you see him. If it comes to getting an injection you can always ask for it in the butt instead of the arm.

Once you get on the meds, hopefully you can get back to school. At school you can use the health service, so you could avoid using your parents' health insurance.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Milan

12. Satoru

@MassiveDynamic: I can relate to you since I don't really like people either. My parents are not really the kind that I can tell things like this to, but it doesn't bother me since there are other people of whom I can get help from. Thank you.

@Milan: Ok, I'll have to make sure to ask about that. I have to wait until Monday to even call since they are closed. I pressured my mom a little bit about calling them, I think it may have made myself look a little suspicious.

I don't really want to take the shots since I am not good with those types of things. It would be nice to build an immunity for such things, but I doubt the effectiveness of such things. My right arm isn't too bad and I don't want to really want to be stabbed in the butt...I'll have to make a choice then.

13. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha, Satoru

I think you're headed in the right direction.

Let us know how things go!

Milan

14. Foxface

To be honest in this case I would recommend both a psychiatrist and a therapist. Medication may not be a bad option if your SA has come to ruining your life and functioning. A solid antidepressant can help with pretty hardcore anxiety and SA. But it isn't a fix all either. Often I recommend seeing a psychiatrist while seeing a therapist. The medication can take it down several notches and therapy can help you find good solid coping methods and talk out what is going on. I've seen this combination be very successful with anxiety and SA to the point where you don't need to be on medications forever.

So those are my thoughts. I will not ask where you live but I would be more than happy to offer up suggestions of what to look for

SA can be well treated by CBT (which is popular and not hard to find a therapist who practices CBT). RET (rational emotive therapy is great too but harder to find)

If you are looking into digging deeper into the issue and your life I always recommend analysis but that can get very lengthy and VERY expensive very quickly.

CBT is an amazing route though

feel free to post to my wall if you have questions on therapy itself.

15. Satoru

@Milan: I'll make sure to keep you all posted.
    @Foxface: I agree; medication isn't a fix for what is happening, but it will at least take some of the anxiety off me so I can start healing myself. I am a little afraid of the cost of doing meds plus seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist to be honest, though I don't know how much this usually costs. CBT sounds good, I'll ask when I go to the appointment.?

SA is really terrible. Today I suffered my face getting really red and sweating with nerves around this person of whom I have a suspicion likes me. My awkwardness paired with SA makes a lot of people think I like them. It doesn't help that I tend to stare down when I walk so I accidentally look at peoples AHEM, and I tend to look at people as a bad habit...

#15 Satoru, Mar 16, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  16. Incognito10

I suffer major social anxiety too and have tried SSRI and MAOI but do not tolerate the side effects. Wellbutrin is good for depressive symptoms, but does little to nothing for anxiety and panic. Do you have any recommendations?

17. Satoru

I am currently scheduled to go in Friday for an appointment. It is later than I wanted it to, but it was the earliest. I just hope that I can keep it together when I start cashiering...

18. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just one day at a time,
    one hour at a time,
    one customer at a time.

You can do it! It will be Friday before you know it.

Hang in there, my friend.

Milan

19. Satoru

Thank you.

20. MilansMele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aloha, Satoru

Okay, it's Wednesday and you're more than half way there to Friday!

How are you doing?

Milan