1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in College

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by clarebe, Mar 13, 2014.

1. clarebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am currently going to a not so friendly LGBT school, and plan to go to a new college next year. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on coming out to parents while in college? as well as if its a good idea to come out of the closet in college? I am transgender (Male to Female).

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a good idea to come out if and when you are ready. Here's the thing about coming out in college. You want support. Everyone does. You claim you are at a non LGBT friendly school, so to me this sounds very difficult (moreso than usual let's say). It's all up to you but consider your support in your situation, especially if your parents don't accept you.

You will know what your heart says.

3. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you feel like your parents won’t cut you off financially, I would definitely say you should come out. I wouldn't tell them over the phone. Either tell them face to face or write them a letter while you were home.

4. Cas

Cas

I'm only coming out at my college and with my friends. Not with my family or friends from home. I'm afraid they'd not accept me.

5. Jorgim

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd say tell them just before the last time you see them when you go to college. Give them some time to think and then when you come back home, talk about it some more. Coming out isn't easy for the person you talk to, they often need a couple if days to think. After that, I'm sure they'd accept you for who you are.

6. clarebe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

7. Dino14

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not out to the majority of my family (only my cousin and 2 of my brothers know) but I am out to all of my friends from home and college. From my experience, I found it really easy to be open with most of the people from college as I was away from the pressure of having to keep it secret (which I do at home). My step-dad is homophobic and I also have catholic relations so it's difficult for me to be myself.

College is a great place to find yourself, and a great way to build a little support nest for yourself. :slight_smile:

I hope that is helpful, but only do it if you're ready of course! x