1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with a Defensive Mother

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Mar 15, 2014.

1. ZenMusic

She isn't a bad mother by the way, even if she does make stupid, ignorant comments about gay people. Basically, most of the time when she gets an answer she doesn't like, she tries to turn it around on me and say I'm trying to start an argument, even when I am being polite. I also ask her simple questions sometimes and she gets defensive. Does anyone know how to get around this?

2. Theron

Don't talk to her?

But seriously, defensive people are defensive often because they're scared. You could give her reading material on the topics she harps on and say, "I thought this would help you understand."

3. Sketch

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Typically, I avoid verbal interactions with people who get defensive, it's quite draining. On the once in a while chance that I do encounter such creatures, the way I usually deal with them is to calmly assert my point in an seemingly emotionally detached manner similar to how a psychologist would assess a patient. I like to stare at them (with the best WTF face you can muster) while they rant to make them feel stupid, then I ask them why they're unable to handle differing views or answer simple questions without yelling.

(TLDR: smart ass 'em to death :badgrin:slight_smile:

#3 Sketch, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014