1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no LGBT support groups in the UAE

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sushi, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Sushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey there,

So, my partner and I went to the states few days ago we were amazed by how easy it was to say we're together without getting any weird looks or anything. it felt so amazing.
    Being a lesbian in the UAE isnt easy at all, its seriously killing my soul. I have the most amazing partner in the world but i cant even live with her because of society issues. what hurts the most is knowing i have someone that i love so much and who loves me back but being here, being surrounded by homophobes not being able to really come out, having to pretend that you're straight every single day is just so tiring. I'm starting to avoid my friends because i have no energy to keep pretending anymore.

it would be so amazing to have an LGBT community here, support groups, anything, anything that makes you feel like you belong.

Being here just makes me thinking of suicide a lot, but i cant do it because i cant be selfish and leave my partner alone.

just wish it was ok to be a lesbian here :dry:

2. Claudette

Claudette Guest

Maybe you could start the revolution, so to say. get the ball rolling on rights for LGBT. All it takes is one ripple to create a wave.
    Be the solution!
    I mean as long as there is no death penalty or stuff like that for being publicly homosexual there.
    I am not too keen on laws in the UAE.

3. Sushi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    i could get arrested or even worse, end up on the death row. they're not very tolerant about that. just the other day, i heard about transgenders from brazil who got arrested for "cross dressing" .. bullshit!!!

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's unlikely that it would be a bloodless revolution anyway. I don't blame you one bit for laying low in the UAE. So sorry that muslim culture is not quite ready for LGBT rights. :frowning2:

But, I know things are looking up. The young people are not like the previous generations. Someday soon, things will be very different.

5. Rosepetal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    aslam wa aliakum im muslim and str8 have a trans bf i hope everything goes well for you inshallah and get a visa for the states :slight_smile:

6. Meagan

I'm sorry, I know that must be hard. Hopefully things will change or you can leave (though knowing how humanity works, you would be best leaving)

7. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there! I just come across your post and it caught me right in eye. Never knew someone from EC is in UAE. By the way I'm in Dubai and I was excited to know someone is in here too.

I do certainly feel your anxiety towards LGBT treatment in the Middle East. PDA is a big NO NO whether your straight or not but you can still find ways to live together.

Anyway, where are you staying? and how you end up in UAE?

8. CharlieChalk

Hello fellow Middle-Eastlings!

I'm in Qatar currently!

As of current, I don't have a sexuality (I've decided it's easier than sleepless nights!) but as for the no PDA etc, I can vouch!

Sorry for interrupting - I just thought I'd say hi. HI!

9. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi CHARLIECHALK!!! It's nice to hear someone from MiddleEast. I have a number of friends in Qatar too. I myself is thinking to move there, so I can try moving on with my partner here in UAE. Hope to be your friend!!! =)

10. CharlieChalk

Ohh, that's so cool. I have no friends in Qatar as of yet hahah :lol:
    I accepted your friend request - thanks for that :slight_smile:

11. deejay

Out Status:
    A few people
    You are very much welcome!!!

12. oldpulteney

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Sushi,
    I can understand how frustrating and depressing it can be in that part of the world. I was visiting family in Pakistan and was down in the dumps all the while I was there. I doubt if things will change there anytime soon. I do hope against hope that they do. There are so many closeted people there leading unhappy lives.
    I hope things work out for both of you!