1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to prom while gay?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Ravi-VIXX777, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Ravi-VIXX777

I would consider myself to the level of accepting I an gay and willing to say I am gay if asked, but I wouldn't say I'm open.

The problem is, I get a ton of pressure from parents and girls that I should go to prom. I like to dance, but by myself. And I am extremely introverted, so I can't see myself getting loose or having fun. I have been to a dance before and it was fun because there was a lot less people and I was friends with everyone. I don't get along well with most people at my school, but I'm not hated either.

My main question is asking someone (a girl). I was thinking of my best friend that is a girl, but I have heard she 'likes likes' me because a lot of people thought we were a couple. And I don't want to break her heart. I have three other people to consider, but I'm not sure if they would already have someone, not if they would go/accept. Advice :help:

2. Saint Otaku

I went to prom with an older female friend of mine (emphasized throughout as friends) two years ago and hated it. I feel like I would have had a much better time going with someone I was actually attracted to, because the couple-atmosphere was very uncomfortable for me, especially since I was closeted.

Not sure if this would apply to you too well, but I've made the resolution to not go to prom this year unless I go with a guy. Which probably won't happen... Still, you might have fun if you go with someone who knows you're gay. Thinking, I myself might consider going with a lesbian if she asked me, but I refuse to go with another male-interested girl.

3. Juggalo

I went to prom with no date and some friends. Ended up with my best friends girl dumpin him and declring herself my girlfriend. I've got pictures somewhere. Then again, I showed up to a formal prom as a closeted gay guy with a polkadot buttonup ripped jean shorts and neon blue shoes, so go figure.
    If you think it'll be fun, go for it. You dont neeed a date to go to a onetime life experience. For better or worse, it only happens once.

4. Historyinhearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When senior prom rolled around, I really wanted to ask my girlfriend at the time to go with me but was too scared to do so since we were both in the closet and attended a small private Christian school. I wound up just going with a group of friends but use to wonder what would of happened if I had asked. Since you're not comfortable doing so, I'd say to just go in a group to spare the hurt feelings and what not. Sure, you can emphasize to your friend that your just going as friends, but it may cause her to paint an unrealistic picture of you two in her head.