1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College classes- Advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ouji, Mar 17, 2014.

1. ouji

ouji Guest

I am going to be attending college this year. I am going into the medical field. I'm not sure what I want to study though for sure. Has anyone on here studied to become a Phlebotomist? Or even just something in the medical field, in general? What did you study to become? How were the classes that you took? How do you like the medical job your in now? Any advice?

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm not in medicine but I'm well versed in the pre med class list.

You need to take organic chemistry and physical chemistry as well as a ton of biology and psychology classes as well as prerequisites. This includes math and physics.

Some med students hate the chemistry and physics aspect and need help. Hope you don't.

3. Hiems

I'm studying pharmacy right now. I'm done with two years of undergrad and by the end of this Spring semester, I'll be done with my first professional year.

Like Kasey said, I am one of those people that hates physics. I blame it on my professors, who were not really great at teaching the material. I had to teach myself. Sometimes you must do this. I recommend checking out student reviews of professors from ratemyprofessors.com before signing up for classes.

Some professors have accents that can cause problems with communicating concepts. For some, their accents are bearable. For others, their accents are so thick that if you have trouble understanding what they're saying, then try to switch classes in the time window at the beginning of the semester.

In my undergrad years, I studied fundamental classes like gen chem, gen bio, writing, social sciences, math, organic chemistry, microbiology. Microbiology is evil. It's pure memorization of #s, facts, diagnoses, treatments. I was so happy that I finished that behemoth of a course.

In professional years, I am studying classes that integrate multiple fields of science and thus require sophisticated approaches to studying to succeed, e.g. physiology, immunology. Next year, I'm applying all the stuff I learned in the context of medicine, e.g. therapeutics. That should be fun... :dry:

4. Beantown

Beantown Guest

Omg I'm studying medicine too this year first year in university but I'm going to become a GP which is going to take like ages I swear.